Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds: Theorem 5-3

In summary, he says that the definition of d\omega(x) is independent of the choice of coordinate system around x, and provides a chain rule solution.
exclamationmarkX10
I am trying to finish the last chapter of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds book. I am stuck in trying to understand something that seems like it's supposed to be trivial but I can't figure it out.

Suppose [itex]M[/itex] is a manifold and [itex]\omega[/itex] is a p-form on [itex]M[/itex]. If [itex]f: W \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a coordinate system around [itex]x = f(a)[/itex] and [itex] v_1, \ldots, v_{p+1} \in M_x[/itex], there are unique [itex] w_1, \ldots, w_{p+1} \in \mathbb{R}_a^k[/itex] such that [itex]f_{\ast}(w_i) = v_i[/itex]. Define [itex]d\omega(x)(v_1, \ldots, v_{p+1}) = d(f^{\ast}\omega)(a)(w_1, \ldots, w_{p+1})[/itex].

Now he says that [itex]d\omega(x)[/itex] defined this way is independent of the choice of coordinate system around [itex]x[/itex]. Any hints on how this can be shown?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take another coordinate system and show that the definition results in the same p-form.

Likes jim mcnamara
Orodruin said:
Take another coordinate system and show that the definition results in the same p-form.

Taking the suggested path, I reduced the problem to showing for all [itex]j[/itex], [itex]d(\omega_{i_1, \ldots, i_p} \circ g)(b)(w_j^{\prime}) = d(\omega_{i_1, \ldots, i_p} \circ f)(a)(w_j)[/itex] where [itex]\omega_{i_1, \ldots, i_p}[/itex] are components of [itex]\omega[/itex], [itex]g: V \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is another coordinate system around [itex]x = g(b)[/itex], and [itex]w_1^{\prime}, \ldots, w_{p+1}^{\prime} \in \mathbb{R}_b^k[/itex] are the unique vectors such that [itex]g_{\ast}(w_i^{\prime}) = v_i[/itex].

Now this would follow immediately if we could use chain rule but we can't since the components are defined only on the manifold.

Last edited:
You need to use the fact that the coordinate transformation between the two systems is smooth and that you can apply the chain rule for it.

Orodruin said:
You need to use the fact that the coordinate transformation between the two systems is smooth and that you can apply the chain rule for it.

Maybe that is what Spivak meant when he says "Precisely the same considerations hold for forms" on page 116.

I see it now, thanks for all your help Orodruin.

1. What is Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds?

Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is a highly regarded textbook that covers multivariable calculus and differential forms on manifolds. It is often used as a reference for advanced undergraduate and graduate level mathematics courses.

2. What is Theorem 5-3 in Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds?

Theorem 5-3 in Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is a fundamental theorem that states that the exterior derivative of a differential form is again a differential form. This theorem is essential in understanding the relationship between differential forms and integration on manifolds.

3. What is the significance of Theorem 5-3 in mathematics?

Theorem 5-3 is significant in mathematics because it provides a way to differentiate differential forms and use them in integration on manifolds. This theorem is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where manifolds are often used to model real-world systems.

4. How is Theorem 5-3 applied in real-world situations?

Theorem 5-3 is applied in real-world situations where manifolds are used to model physical systems. For example, in physics, this theorem is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and general relativity. In economics, manifolds are used to model supply and demand curves, and Theorem 5-3 is used to calculate integrals over these manifolds.

5. Is knowledge of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds necessary to understand Theorem 5-3?

Yes, knowledge of Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is necessary to understand Theorem 5-3. This theorem is presented in the context of multivariable calculus and differential forms, which are covered extensively in this textbook. Without a solid understanding of these concepts, it may be difficult to fully grasp the significance and applications of Theorem 5-3.