Split Short Exact Sequences .... Bland, Proposition 3.2.6 ....

In summary, the proof of Proposition 3.2.6 states that if there is a such that thenAdditionally, the proof of Proposition 3.2.6 states that if there is another such such thenHelp will be much appreciated ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" ...

Currently I am focused on Section 3.2 Exact Sequences in ##\text{Mod}_R##... ...

I need some help in order to fully understand the proof of Proposition 3.2.6 ...

Proposition 3.2.6 and its proof read as follows:
Bland - Prposition 3.2.6 ... .....png

In the above proof of Proposition 3.2.6 we read the following:"... ... Then ##x - x'\in \text{Ker } g = \text{Im } f##, so##(x - f( f' (x))) - (x' - f( f' (x'))) = ( x - x') - ( f ( f'(x) ) - f ( f'(x') ) )##

##= ( x - x') - f ( f' ( x - x') )##

##\in \text{Ker } f' \cap \text{Im } f = 0 ## ... ...

Thus it follows that ##g'## is well-defined ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why/how ##( x - x') - f ( f' ( x - x') ) \in \text{Ker } f' \cap \text{Im } f = 0## ... ...Further, can someone please explain in some detail how the above working shows that ##g'## is well-defined ...
Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Prposition 3.2.6 ... .....png
    44.8 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" ...

Currently I am focused on Section 3.2 Exact Sequences in ##\text{Mod}_R## ... ...

I need some further help in order to fully understand the proof of Proposition 3.2.6 ...

Proposition 3.2.6 and its proof read as follows:

In the above proof of Proposition 3.2.6 we read the following:"... ... now define ##g' \ : \ M_2 \longrightarrow M## by ##g'(y) = x - f(f'(x))##, where ##x \in M## is such that ##g(x) = y## ... ... ... ...

... ... Suppose that ##x' \in M## is also such that ##g(x') = y## ... ... Does the above text imply that ##g'(y) = x' - f( f'(x') )## ... ... ?

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Prposition 3.2.6 ... .....png
    44.8 KB · Views: 367
Math Amateur said:
"... ... Then ##x - x'\in \text{Ker } g = \text{Im } f##, so##(x - f( f' (x))) - (x' - f( f' (x'))) = ( x - x') - ( f ( f'(x) ) - f ( f'(x') ) )##

##= ( x - x') - f ( f' ( x - x') )##

##\in \text{Ker } f' \cap \text{Im } f = 0 ## ... ...
The LHS of the first line has two terms, ##(x - f( f' (x)))## and ## (x' - f( f' (x')))## with ##x,x'\in M##. The 6th line of the proof of Proposition 3.2.6 concludes that terms of that form are in Ker ##f'##. Since the kernel of a linear map is a subspace, that means the LHS of that line, which is a linear comb of the two terms, is also in the kernel.

Now look at the last equality: ##= ( x - x') - f ( f' ( x - x') )##. The second term is in I am ##f##, and the first term was shown to be in I am ##f## in the extract's line immediately before that series of equalities you quoted. Again, since Images of linear maps are subspaces, the linear combination of the two terms must be in the image. So the item is both in I am ##f## and in Ker ##f'##, hence in their intersection.
Further, can someone please explain in some detail how the above working shows that ##g'## is well-defined ...
##g'## was defined as ##g'(y) = x-f(f'(x))## where ##g(x)=y##, ie where ##x\in g^{-1}(y)##. There may be more than one ##x## such that ##g(x)=y##. That doesn't matter, ie does not make the definition 'not well-defined', as long as changing the ##x## doesn't change the value of ##g'(y)##, ie of ##x-f(f'(x))##. So what is needed is to prove that if there is another such ##x##, call it ##x'##, such that ##g(x')=y=g(x)##, we will have ##x-f(f'(x))=x'-f(f'(x'))##, ie ##(x-f(f'(x))-(x'-f(f'(x'))=0##.

And that is what has just been proved by that series of equalities.
To be absolutely formal, what was proved was:
$$(x-f(f'(x))-(x'-f(f'(x')) \in \mathrm{Ker }f'\cap \mathrm{Im }f=\{0\}$$
from which it follows that
$$(x-f(f'(x))-(x'-f(f'(x'))=0$$

Likes Math Amateur
Well! That was extremely helpful!

Thanks Andrew ...

Peter

1. What is a split short exact sequence?

A split short exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects (such as groups, modules, or vector spaces) that satisfies the properties of being exact and having a splitting map, which is a map that "splits" the sequence into two sub-sequences that are exact.

2. What does Bland, Proposition 3.2.6 state?

Bland, Proposition 3.2.6 is a statement in mathematics that provides conditions for a short exact sequence to be split. Specifically, it states that if a sequence of modules has a submodule that is both a direct summand and a complement, then the sequence is split.

3. How is Proposition 3.2.6 useful in mathematics?

Proposition 3.2.6 is useful in mathematics because it provides a criterion for determining when a short exact sequence is split. This can be used to simplify calculations and proofs in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra and topology.

4. Is Proposition 3.2.6 a commonly used result in mathematics?

Yes, Proposition 3.2.6 is a well-known and commonly used result in mathematics, particularly in the study of exact sequences and their properties. It has been referenced and applied in various research papers and textbooks in the field.

5. Can Proposition 3.2.6 be generalized to other mathematical structures?

Yes, Proposition 3.2.6 can be generalized to other mathematical structures beyond modules, such as groups and vector spaces. This is because the concept of a direct summand and a complement can be defined in a broader context, allowing the proposition to hold for a wider range of mathematical objects.