Split Monomorphisms .... Bland Defn 3.2.2 & Propn 3.2.3 ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Split
In summary: M_n \twoheadrightarrow M_n## ... Maybe ##\overset{\sim}{\rightarrow}## resp. ##\overset{\sim}{\twoheadrightarrow}##. See also ##\rightarrowtail## and ##\twoheadrightarrow##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules ...

Currently I am focused on Section 3.2 Exact Sequences in ##\text{Mod}_R## ... ...

I need some help in order to fully understand Definition 3.2.2 and Proposition 3.2.3 ...

Definition 3.2.2 and Proposition 3.2.3 read as follows:
Bland - Defn 3.2.2 ... ....png

In Definition 3.2.2 we read that ##f'f = \text{id}_{M_1}## ... ... BUT ... ... I thought that ##f'f## was only defined on ##f(M) = \text{Im } f## ... ... what then happens to elements ##x \in M## that are outside of ##f(M) = \text{Im } f## ... ... see Fig. 1 below ...

Bland - Figure 1 ....png

Note that in the proof of Proposition 3.2.3 we read:" ... ... If ##x \in M## then ##f'(x) \in M_1## ... ... "But ... how does this work for ##x## outside of ##f(M) = \text{Im } f## such as ##x## shown in Fig. 1 above?
I would be grateful if someone could explain how Definition 3.2.2 "works" ... ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bland - Defn 3.2.2 ... ....png
    Bland - Defn 3.2.2 ... ....png
    53.9 KB · Views: 573
  • Bland - Figure 1 ....png
    Bland - Figure 1 ....png
    12.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
##f'## is described above as having domain ##M## so it is defined on all of ##M##, not just on Im##f##

From the Proposition, we see that any ##x\in M\smallsetminus f(M_1)## can be written as ##a+b## where ##a\in f(M_1)## and ##b\in\mathrm{ker}\ f'##. So there must be some ##m_1\in M_1## such that ##a=f(m_1)## and we will have

$$f'(x) = f'(a+b) = f'(a) + f'(b) = m_1 + 0_{M_1}=m_1$$

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
I would be grateful if someone could explain how Definition 3.2.2 "works" ... ...
The origin are exact sequences (image of the left homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next). Let's take a short exact sequence. This is a sequence of ##R-##module homomorphisms
$$
0 \longrightarrow M_1 \stackrel{f}{\longrightarrow} M \stackrel{g}{\longrightarrow} M_2 \longrightarrow 0 \Longleftrightarrow M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2
$$
I have a book, in which the author calls such a sequence exact direct, which is a bit more telling, if one the equivalent conditions hold:
  1. ##\exists \,h: M \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2\, : \,M\cong_h M_1 \oplus M_2##
  2. ##\exists \,g': M_2 \longrightarrow M \, : \, g \circ g' = \operatorname{id}_{M_2}##
  3. ##\exists \,f': M \longrightarrow M_1 \, : \, f' \circ f = \operatorname{id}_{M_1}##
This summarizes the situation of Definition 3.2.2.

In general we speak of a split exact sequence, if ##g'## exists which is called the split. The clue is, that ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## always splits AND all splits take this form. So a split describes in a way the possibility to go back in an exact sequence, to embed ##M_2## in ##M##. This isn't trivial, because ##M_2## is given as an image, so its structure can be rather wild. A split guarantees that it can be embedded ("backwards") anyway: ##g'## splits ##M## into ##M_1## and ##M_2##.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
The origin are exact sequences (image of the left homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next). Let's take a short exact sequence. This is a sequence of ##R-##module homomorphisms
$$
0 \longrightarrow M_1 \stackrel{f}{\longrightarrow} M \stackrel{g}{\longrightarrow} M_2 \longrightarrow 0 \Longleftrightarrow M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2
$$
I have a book, in which the author calls such a sequence exact direct, which is a bit more telling, if one the equivalent conditions hold:
  1. ##\exists \,h: M \longrightarrow M_1 \oplus M_2\, : \,M\cong_h M_1 \oplus M_2##
  2. ##\exists \,g': M_2 \longrightarrow M \, : \, g \circ g' = \operatorname{id}_{M_2}##
  3. ##\exists \,f': M \longrightarrow M_1 \, : \, f' \circ f = \operatorname{id}_{M_1}##
This summarizes the situation of Definition 3.2.2.

In general we speak of a split exact sequence, if ##g'## exists which is called the split. The clue is, that ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## always splits AND all splits take this form. So a split describes in a way the possibility to go back in an exact sequence, to embed ##M_2## in ##M##. This isn't trivial, because ##M_2## is given as an image, so its structure can be rather wild. A split guarantees that it can be embedded ("backwards") anyway: ##g'## splits ##M## into ##M_1## and ##M_2##.
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ...

But just a clarification ...

You write:

"... ... In general we speak of a split exact sequence, if ##g'## exists which is called the split. The clue is, that ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## always splits AND all splits take this form. ... ... "

Can you explain the meaning of the special arrows under the f and under the g in ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## ... ?Thanks again,

Peter

andrewkirk said:
##f'## is described above as having domain ##M## so it is defined on all of ##M##, not just on Im##f##

From the Proposition, we see that any ##x\in M\smallsetminus f(M_1)## can be written as ##a+b## where ##a\in f(M_1)## and ##b\in\mathrm{ker}\ f'##. So there must be some ##m_1\in M_1## such that ##a=f(m_1)## and we will have

$$f'(x) = f'(a+b) = f'(a) + f'(b) = m_1 + 0_{M_1}=m_1$$
Thanks Andrew ...

Appreciate the help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Can you explain the meaning of the special arrows under the ##f## and under the ##g## in ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## ... ?
Yes. I said that ##M_1 \stackrel{f}{\rightarrowtail} M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\twoheadrightarrow} M_2## is equivalent to the short exact sequence
$$0 \stackrel{\iota}{\longrightarrow} M_1 \stackrel{f}{\longrightarrow} M = M_1 \oplus M_2 \stackrel{g}{\longrightarrow} M_2 \stackrel{\pi}{\longrightarrow} 0$$
So the sequence is exact at ##M_1## which means ##0 =\operatorname{im}\iota = \operatorname{ker} f ##, i.e. ##f## is injective. ##M_1 \rightarrowtail M## represents an injective homomorphism, an embedding.
And the sequence is exact at ##M_2## which means ##\operatorname{im} g = \operatorname{ker} \pi = M_2 ##, i.e. ##g## is surjective. ##M \twoheadrightarrow M_2## represents a surjective homomorphism, a projection.

The notation with the special arrows simply avoids the need to note the zero modules at the left and at the right and can be used in general to denote injective ##\rightarrowtail ##, resp. surjective ##\twoheadrightarrow ## mappings. If you use both at the same time, then it symbolizes a bijection. Unfortunately, I haven't found the LaTeX code for ##M \twoheadrightarrowtail M_1 \oplus M_2##

Likes Math Amateur

1. What is a split monomorphism?

A split monomorphism is a type of morphism in category theory, where the arrow is both a monomorphism (one-to-one) and a split epimorphism (onto). This means that it has a right inverse, or a morphism that undoes the original arrow.

2. How is a split monomorphism different from a regular monomorphism?

A split monomorphism is a special case of a monomorphism, where it has a right inverse. This means that it is not only one-to-one, but also has a two-sided inverse, which regular monomorphisms do not necessarily have.

3. What is the significance of Bland Definition 3.2.2 in relation to split monomorphisms?

Bland Definition 3.2.2 provides a clear and concise definition of a split monomorphism in category theory. It establishes the criteria for a split monomorphism and helps distinguish it from other types of morphisms.

4. Can a split monomorphism be both a monomorphism and an epimorphism?

Yes, a split monomorphism is both a monomorphism and a split epimorphism. This means that it is both one-to-one and onto, making it a very useful type of morphism in category theory.

5. What is the significance of Proposition 3.2.3 in relation to split monomorphisms?

Proposition 3.2.3 states that if a split monomorphism has a left inverse, then it is also a split epimorphism. This further emphasizes the importance of split monomorphisms in category theory and their relationship with other types of morphisms.