Spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry and the confusion surrounding the fact that the resulting Goldstone particle is a spin 1/2 fermion instead of a boson. The answer is linked to the fermionic nature of supersymmetry and its conserved charges. The concept of a "goldstino" is introduced as the fermionic Goldstone particle in this scenario. Further research on the topic can be done by searching for "goldstino".
shereen1
Dear All
I am studying spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry but i am confused about something. Why should the goldstone be a spin 1/2, why it is not a boson? I have read that this is due to supersymmetry is a fermionic symmetry but i am not convinced with this answer!
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really into this stuff, but you should at least say why you are not convinced. See e.g. page 60-61, eqn. (4.23) of

http://thep.housing.rug.nl/sites/default/files/theses/PhD thesis_Andrea Borghese.pdf

I'd say you mimick the usual Goldstone theorem, but now for spontaneous breaking of SUSY and see how you construct the accompanying Goldstone particles. For the bosonic case, I really like Zee's treatment in his QFT book (chapter 4.1). There you can see that the Goldstone bosons are explicitly constructed using the conserved charges Q of the corresponding symmetry. In SUSY, these charges are fermionic. So I'd would be highly surprised if you wouldn't get fermionic Goldstone particles for spontaneous broken SUSY.

The Goldstone particle from SUSY breaking is indeed a fermion, and it's called a "goldstino". So search for "goldstino" to find more on it.

What is spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry?

Spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry is a phenomenon in particle physics where the symmetry between bosons (particles with integer spin) and fermions (particles with half-integer spin) is broken at low energies. This results in the existence of a new set of particles called supersymmetric particles.

Why is spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry important?

Spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry is important because it provides a solution to the hierarchy problem in particle physics. It also has implications for the unification of fundamental forces and could potentially explain the existence of dark matter.

How does spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry occur?

Spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry occurs through the Higgs mechanism, where a vacuum expectation value of a scalar field breaks the symmetry between bosons and fermions.

What evidence supports the existence of spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry?

Although there is currently no direct evidence for spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry, it is predicted by many theoretical models and could potentially be observed at high-energy particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

Are there any challenges to the theory of spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry?

Yes, there are several challenges to the theory of spontaneous breaking of supersymmetry. These include the lack of experimental evidence, the complexity of the mathematical models, and the difficulty in predicting the masses of supersymmetric particles.