Spontaneous increase in energy level

In summary, the electron can only jump to a higher energy level if it absorbs energy. Lifetime in the new state is the same for both processes.
Getterdog
i know there is a certain probability for an electron to fall to a lower energy level,without an exciting event,like a collision. Is the reverse also true I.e that a electron could jump to a higher level,without absorbing any extraneous energy..if so are the lifetimes in the new state the same for both processes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Getterdog said:
i know there is a certain probability for an electron to fall to a lower energy level,without an exciting event,like a collision
It does not just fall. The leftover energy needs to be expelled, usually in the form of a photon, or energy would not be conserved.

Getterdog said:
Is the reverse also true I.e that a electron could jump to a higher level,without absorbing any extraneous energy..if so are the lifetimes in the new state the same for both processes?
Just as you need to expell energy to go to a lower energy level, you need to add energy to go to a higher one.

Actually, it's not immediately obvious that the probability for an electron to "fall" to a lower energy state should be nonzero, assuming that the electron occupies a bound state far away from any perturbing electromagnetic fields. Normally, states with well-defined energy in quantum mechanics are "stationary," meaning that they do not change with time. When we introduce a perturbation to the region around a bound state--for example, by shining a light on an electron bound to an atom--we can induce transitions between the stationary states. This is what causes stimulated emission and absorption of radiation by atomic electrons--basically, an electron can absorb a stray photon and "jump" to a higher energy level, or can be "stimulated" by passing photons to jump down to a lower one. (The latter process is not at all intuitive from the point of view of classical physics, and is the mechanism responsible for light amplification in a laser.)

The reason electrons sometimes "fall" even without the presence of a perturbation--in a process called "spontaneous emission"--has to do with quantum electrodynamics. Essentially, the theory tells us that the electromagnetic field is always nonzero--it is literally impossible for a region of space to be free of electromagnetic "perturbations." In particular, spontaneous emission is really just a special case of stimulated emission.

So the answer to your question is no--any transition from a stationary state to a higher-energy one involves the absorption of a photon, just as a transition from a higher-energy state to a lower one involves the emission of a photon.

I was thinking of the uncertainty between time and energy,that there is a non zero probability to jump higher for a very short time. As posted on another thread,someone said the atom is never really isolated from any em field,can it “borrow “ this energy from itself?

Likes VKint
I think I just found the answer, it involves the combination of the states of an em field combined with the states of the electron,and phase space. It seems almost like the law of entropy in operation. So where by spontaneous emmision is possible the reverse is almost impossible.

Likes VKint

1. What is a spontaneous increase in energy level?

A spontaneous increase in energy level is a sudden and unexplained rise in the amount of energy that an object or system possesses. This increase in energy can occur without any external input or intervention, and is often observed in physical and chemical systems.

2. What are some examples of spontaneous increase in energy level?

Examples of spontaneous increase in energy level include the boiling of water, the rusting of iron, and the combustion of fuel. In each of these cases, energy is released or transformed without any external force or energy input.

3. How does spontaneous increase in energy level relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

Spontaneous increase in energy level is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total energy of a closed system tends to increase over time. This means that spontaneous increases in energy are a natural and expected occurrence in physical and chemical systems.

4. Can a spontaneous increase in energy level be reversed?

In most cases, a spontaneous increase in energy level cannot be reversed. Once energy has been released or transformed, it is difficult to return the system to its previous state. However, in some cases, energy can be put back into a system to reverse a spontaneous increase, such as using a refrigerator to cool down a room that has spontaneously heated up.

5. How is spontaneous increase in energy level different from a forced increase in energy level?

A spontaneous increase in energy level occurs without any external force or energy input, while a forced increase in energy level requires an external input of energy. Additionally, a spontaneous increase in energy is often irreversible, while a forced increase may be reversible depending on the amount of energy input and the properties of the system.