Spotting gearbox assembly issues

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question concerning the theory of machines and the difficulties faced in answering specific questions during internships. The person sought recommendations for a book or course to gain a better understanding and overcome the gap in their knowledge. It was suggested to study the drawing provided in the question carefully and visualize how the parts would come apart, as well as gain practical experience by taking apart junk car parts with the help of someone with proper tools.
Ah-E
The question might be a bit silly.. (asking for advice regarding the theory of machines content, not a homework).

I'm enrolled in the mechanical engineering bachelor's. I applied for several internships however I couldn't pass because of a particular type of questions.
The interviewer shows me an assembly for a gearbox for example, and we go through a discussion about the flaws in the shown system in general. by either spotting the errors in the dimensions or the arrangement, etc.
>>> This question is pretty similar: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bevel-gearbox-assembly-flaws.989346/

the answers in the thread were insightful but how to gain a better understanding? any recommendations for a good book/course that I can study to cover the gap I have?
My courses in my bachelor's were pretty straightforward in this part. just do some calculations without the ability to answer those types of questions

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is definitely not a silly question. I am not aware of any good books that cover this gap in your knowledge because the test is more about practical experience than book knowledge. There are some things that you could try:

Many of the flaws in that gearbox are parts that cannot be assembled. Study the drawing carefully, and visualize how you would take it apart. Look for parts that cannot be removed because those parts could not have been assembled originally. You need to visualize the parts in three dimensions, and how they come apart. Removing bolts requires wrench access, bearings cannot be pulled over a larger diameter, etc. Expect to spend several days studying that one drawing.

Get some junk car parts - alternator, starter, transmission, differential - and take them apart. Then try to put them back together. Find somebody who has the proper tools to help you with this.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Ah-E

1. What are the common signs of gearbox assembly issues?

The common signs of gearbox assembly issues include strange noises such as whining, grinding, or clunking sounds, difficulty shifting gears, leaking transmission fluid, and a burning smell. These signs may indicate problems with the gears, bearings, or seals within the gearbox.

2. How can I prevent gearbox assembly issues?

To prevent gearbox assembly issues, it is important to regularly check and change the transmission fluid, follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, and avoid overloading or towing beyond the vehicle's capabilities. It is also important to listen for any unusual noises or vibrations while driving, and to address them promptly before they develop into larger issues.

3. Can driving habits contribute to gearbox assembly issues?

Yes, driving habits can contribute to gearbox assembly issues. Aggressive driving, such as rapid acceleration and hard braking, can put extra strain on the gears and other components of the gearbox, leading to premature wear and potential damage. It is important to drive smoothly and avoid unnecessary strain on the gearbox to prevent issues.

4. How often should I have my gearbox assembly inspected?

The frequency of gearbox assembly inspections may vary depending on the vehicle and driving habits, but it is generally recommended to have it inspected every 30,000-60,000 miles. Regular inspections can help catch potential issues early on and prevent more costly repairs in the future.

5. What should I do if I suspect a problem with my gearbox assembly?

If you suspect a problem with your gearbox assembly, it is important to have it checked by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. Ignoring potential issues can lead to more severe damage and higher repair costs. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule to prevent issues from arising in the first place.