Spring, Amplitude and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block of mass M1 and a block of mass M2 connected by a spring with a spring constant of k. The smaller block undergoes Simple Harmonic Motion and the goal is to find the maximum amplitude it can have for the smaller block to remain at rest relative to the larger block. The coefficient of friction between the two blocks is also given. The conversation includes a step-by-step solution to this problem, ultimately finding that the maximum displacement of the spring is (M1+M2)(g)(mew)/(k).
dukkie
Ok, I'm stuck again...

A block of mass M1=0.490 kg sits on a block with a mass of M2=4.50 kg that rests on a frictionless surface and is connected to a spring. The spring has a spring constant of k=16.6 N/m. The block is displaced and undergoes Simple Harmonic Motion. What is the largest amplitude (in meters) the block can have for the smaller block to remain at rest, relative to the larger block? The coefficient of friction between the two blocks is m=0.300

Ok so I tried like 5 different ways to work the problem and I know at least one of the ways I tried was wrong. I was working with F=ma. I was using a=g (acceleration=gravity) and so F=mg, and also mg=kx. I found my force (44.15 N) and multiplied it by my friction coefficient (0.300) and got 13.245 N so then I divide by my spring constant and get 0.79789 m. Which is wrong. My question is "What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this problem? :confused:

Thanks abunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the maximum force that the bottom block can exert on the top block? What's the corresponding maximum acceleration?

Is the max. force exerted on the second block by the first block (0.49 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)? Which would make the max. acceleration (9.81 m/s^2) right?

No. What I should have asked is what is the maximum horizontal force that the bottom block can exert on the top. Hint: The only horizontal force between the two blocks is the friction force.

But friction force is the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force, and I can't figure out the normal force because I don't know the acceleration. I am very confused.

One block sits on top of the other. What's the normal force between them? (Note: There's no acceleration in the vertical direction, which is the only direction that could affect the normal force.)

I am really sorry. I know that I am probably missing the most simple solution, and I am truly not trying to get you to do the problem for me, but I honestly don't know what to do. I don't have either force or acceleration and need them. I am confused and on top of it have been told that this problem is basically as hard as it gets in the course I am taking. Maybe that should be a good thing, but right now it is very daunting. Thank you so much for your patience with me!

We'll lick this problem, step by step. But try to answer my questions as I ask them.

The first thing to realize is that the only horizontal force acting on the top block is the friction from the bottom block. So let's find the maximum value of that friction. To do that, we need the normal force between the blocks. So, answer my question: One block sits on top of the other. What's the normal force between them? (Hint: This one's easy.)

0.3(M1)(g)=0.3(0.49 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)

dukkie said:
0.3(M1)(g)=0.3(0.49 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)
The normal force is just the weight of the top mass: [itex]N = mg[/itex]. You went one step further and found the maximum static friction force that the bottom mass can exert on the top mass: [itex]f_{max} = \mu N = \mu mg[/itex]. Good!

Now, knowing the maximum horizontal force that can be applied to the top mass, use Newton's 2nd law to find the maximum acceleration of the top mass. (Hint: Don't be in a rush to plug in numbers. Work with symbols as much as possible; only plug in numbers at the last step.)

so (a=F/m), correct?

Yes. So what does that maximum acceleration equal? (In symbols, not numbers.)

a=(M1)(g)(mew)/(M1) so a=(g)(mew)

Right. Now, since the top and bottom block must move together, this is also the maximum acceleration of both blocks. Once again, use Newton's 2nd law to find the force needed to produce this acceleration on both blocks together.

Since the spring is what exerts this force, use Hooke's law (the spring force law) to find the maximum displacement that corresponds to this maximum force.

a=(M1+M2)(g)(mew)/(M1)? I confused myself again...

ps-i will be back at noon est.

dukkie said:
a=(M1+M2)(g)(mew)/(M1)? I confused myself again...
You have the acceleration ([itex]a = \mu g[/itex]) and the mass of both blocks ([itex]M_1 + M_2[/itex]). Now combine them (using Newton's 2nd law) to find the force.

ohhhhhhh...so F=ma so F= (mew)(g)(M1+M2) right?

So far, so good. Now what spring displacement would produce that force?

d=F/k correct? so that would mean d=(M1+M2)(g)(mew)/(k) right?

dukkie said:
d=F/k correct? so that would mean d=(M1+M2)(g)(mew)/(k) right?
Right. That's all there is to it, if you understand what you've done. As long as the amplitude of the motion remains less than d, the friction will be enough to keep the top block stuck to the bottom block.

thanks! I got it!

Related to Spring, Amplitude and Acceleration

What is spring constant and how does it relate to amplitude?

Spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, which is defined as the force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. It is denoted by the letter k and is measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m). The amplitude of a spring refers to the maximum displacement from its equilibrium position, and it is directly related to the spring constant. The larger the spring constant, the stiffer the spring and the greater the amplitude it can achieve.

How does amplitude affect the period of a spring?

The period of a spring refers to the time it takes for one full cycle of its motion, from its equilibrium position to the maximum displacement and back to its equilibrium position. The amplitude of a spring affects its period, with larger amplitudes resulting in longer periods. This is because a larger amplitude requires more time for the spring to complete one full cycle of its motion.

What is the relationship between acceleration and spring force?

Spring force is the force exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed from its equilibrium position. It is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression, as well as the spring constant. This means that as the spring stretches or compresses, the spring force increases in proportion to the displacement. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, this increase in spring force results in an acceleration of the object attached to the spring.

How do different masses affect the amplitude of a spring?

The amplitude of a spring is affected by the mass attached to it. A heavier mass will cause the spring to stretch or compress more than a lighter mass, resulting in a larger amplitude. This is due to the fact that a heavier mass requires more force to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter mass, resulting in a larger displacement of the spring.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a spring oscillation?

The period of a spring oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass attached to the spring in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter. This formula is derived from Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law of Motion, and it shows that the period of a spring oscillation is dependent on the mass and spring constant.