Spring and Energy: Rocket clamped to an anchored spring

In summary, a 11.6 kg weather rocket with a thrust of 200 N is clamped to the top of a vertical spring with a spring constant of 580 N/m. Initially at rest, the spring is compressed by 0.1962m. To find the rocket's speed when the spring has stretched 32.0 cm, conservation of energy is used with the given variables. However, for comparison, the rocket's speed after traveling this distance without the spring attached cannot be determined using conservation of energy. Instead, forces and accelerations must be considered.
Max

Homework Statement

A 11.6 kg weather rocket generates a thrust of 200 N . The rocket, pointing upward, is clamped to the top of a vertical spring. The bottom of the spring, whose spring constant is 580 N/m , is anchored to the ground.

Initially, before the engine is ignited, the rocket sits at rest on top of the spring. How much is the spring compressed?

After the engine is ignited, what is the rocket's speed when the spring has stretched 32.0 cm ?

For comparison, what would be the rocket's speed after traveling this distance if it weren't attached to the spring?

Homework Equations

:[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
I found 0.1962m for part A
but part B and C, I don't think I am on the right track. I don't know how to use LaTex, so hopefully you understand

for question b:
I used conservation of energy of the spring systems, saying 1.2mv^2=1/2 k* delta(x)^2
delta x I used 0.1962m of part A to solve for v by all given variables

for part c:
my answer was funky. I found net acceleration on y direction and then used integral to solve for v, but it was not working.

Physics news on Phys.org
Max said:
conservation of energy of the spring systems, saying 1.2mv^2=1/2 k* delta(x)^2
Conservationof energy says initial total energy equals final total energy. Does that match your equation?

(You will not be able to use conservation of energy here. Consider forces and accelerations.)

1. How does a rocket clamped to an anchored spring work?

A rocket clamped to an anchored spring works by utilizing the elastic potential energy stored in the spring to launch the rocket. As the spring is compressed, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the rocket forward.

2. What is the role of the spring in a rocket clamped to an anchored spring?

The spring in a rocket clamped to an anchored spring serves as the source of elastic potential energy. It is responsible for launching the rocket by releasing this stored energy upon being released.

3. How does the mass of the rocket affect its launch when attached to a spring?

The mass of the rocket attached to the spring affects its launch by determining the amount of elastic potential energy stored in the spring. A heavier rocket will require more force to compress the spring and will therefore have a stronger launch compared to a lighter rocket.

4. Can the height of the anchored spring affect the launch of the rocket?

Yes, the height of the anchored spring can affect the launch of the rocket. A taller spring will have more potential energy stored compared to a shorter spring, resulting in a higher launch for the rocket.

5. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the launch of the rocket?

The spring constant, which represents the stiffness of the spring, affects the launch of the rocket by determining the amount of elastic potential energy stored in the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring and more potential energy, resulting in a stronger launch for the rocket.