Spring constant discrepency (force vs work)

In summary, the work done by gravity on the weight is 9.8xM, but the extra work goes into added kinetic energy of the mass, which explains why the work to stretch the spring is only ½(mg)y = ½ky².
krausr79
y = distance stretched vertically
k = spring constant
M = mass of weight on spring

My Physics book says the work to stretch a spring is .5ky2. If I set that equal to the work done by gravity on the weight (9.8xM) and solve for the constant I get k = (9.8M)/(.5y)

My Physics book also says that the force from a spring is ky. If I set that equal to the force of gravity on the weight (9.8M) and solve for the constant I get k = (9.8M)/(y)

Why do I get a different constant??

Physics news on Phys.org
krausr79 said:
My Physics book says the work to stretch a spring is .5ky2. If I set that equal to the work done by gravity on the weight (9.8xM) and solve for the constant I get k = (9.8M)/(.5y)
But the work done by gravity does not equal the work to stretch the spring--it's twice as much as needed to just stretch the spring.

My Physics book also says that the force from a spring is ky. If I set that equal to the force of gravity on the weight (9.8M) and solve for the constant I get k = (9.8M)/(y)
That's true. It's a restatement of Hooke's law.

That would explain it. But where does the extra work go? Is that the right question? Why would only half go to the spring?

krausr79 said:
That would explain it. But where does the extra work go? Is that the right question? Why would only half go to the spring?
The extra work goes into added kinetic energy of the mass.

Here's what's going on. To just barely stretch the spring, you only need to exert a force equal to the spring force. But that spring force varies from zero (at first) to the full force (mg) at the equilibrium point. So the work needed--Average Force x distance--is only ½(mg)y = ½ky².

If you gently hang the weight on the spring and bring it down to full extension realize that you are countering the weight of the mass with the upward force of your hand. But if you hang the weight on the spring and just let it drop, then the work done by gravity (when the weight reaches the point y) will be mgy = ky^2, but that extra energy goes into speeding up the weight. It won't just stop, it will keep going until the spring stretches enough to stop the motion. Ignoring friction and other energy leaks, the weight will keep oscillating up and down in simple harmonic motion.

Thank you.

Related to Spring constant discrepency (force vs work)

1. What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit distance (N/m).

2. What causes a discrepancy between force and work in a spring?

The discrepancy between force and work in a spring can be caused by factors such as friction, air resistance, and imperfections in the spring itself. These factors can affect the amount of force required to compress or stretch the spring, resulting in a difference between the force applied and the work done.

3. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, its shape, and any external influences. For example, a spring made of a stiffer material will have a higher spring constant compared to a spring made of a more flexible material.

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of a spring and therefore affects its behavior. A higher spring constant means the spring will require more force to compress or stretch, resulting in a stiffer and more rigid behavior. On the other hand, a lower spring constant will result in a more flexible and less rigid behavior.