Spring Constants problem at the High School level

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between spring energy, kinetic energy, and gravitational potential energy. It is explained that kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## and that this formula is important in basic physics. The discussion then turns to applying this formula to calculate the speed of a ball, and using mechanical energy conservation to determine the energy stored in a spring at different points. The importance of showing effort in solving problems is also emphasized.
jamesgunn
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
A 200N/m spring is compressed 4cm and is used to launch a 0.2kg ball horizontally. How fast is the ball going when the spring has moved 3cm? How fast does the ball leave the cannon?
Relevant Equations
1/2 kx^2=mgh ?
1/2 kx^2 = mgh

Physics news on Phys.org
The spring energy goes to Kinetic Energy .

hutchphd said:
The spring energy goes to Kinetic Energy .
Does that mean I use the same formula? You lost me.

The question tells you the motion is horizontal. So what happens to the gravitational potential energy?

Do you you know the formula for kinetic energy?

Steve4Physics said:
The question tells you the motion is horizontal. So what happens to the gravitational potential energy?

Do you you know the formula for kinetic energy?
No, I could really use some help. I've been doing this problem for the past hour.

Kine
jamesgunn said:
No, I could really use some help. I've been doing this problem for the past hour.
Kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
It's one of the most important formulae in basic physics!

Steve4Physics said:
Kine

Kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
It's one of the most important formulae in basic physics!
Ok, I do know that actually. How do I apply this to get the speed for the ball though?

jamesgunn said:
Ok, I do know that actually. How do I apply this to get the speed for the ball though?
Q1.What is the energy stored in the spring when its compression = 4cm?

Q2. When the spring has moved 3cm, how big is its compression now? And how much energy is in the spring now?

Q3. What is the difference in the answers to Q1 and Q2? What has happened to some of the spring's energy?

You use mechanical energy conservation. You say kinetic + potential energy at point A is equal to kinetic + potential energy at point B. What points does it make sense to choose as A and B? Read the problem and see what you know and what you are looking for.

@jamesgunn -- please show some effort, or you thread will be closed. Thank you.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is spring constant related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The constant of proportionality is the spring constant, which is represented by the letter k.

3. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance it is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the distance.

4. What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units used for force and distance. In the SI system, the units of spring constant are N/m (newtons per meter). In the English system, the units are lb/in (pounds per inch).

5. How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and requires less force. This affects the spring's ability to store and release energy, as well as its resonance frequency.