Spring Forces-Diving Board question

In summary, the problem involves a 70-kg diver on a springy diving board with a spring constant of 10,000 N/m. The diver jumps 0.5m off the board which causes it to bend, and the board then flings her up into the air. The goal is to calculate the height that the board sends her and discuss the realism of the result. After solving for the distance the board bends, the energy, and the height, the final answer of 1.4986m seems reasonable and believable. However, in real life, other factors such as air resistance and the diver's body position may affect the final height. The surprising aspect is that the calculated height is not significantly higher than the
Insomniac09
Hey, I solved this problem but I need someone to double check it. Please and Thank you!

Homework Statement

A 70-kg diver on a springy diving board makes her approach. The diving board sits 1 m above the water below. As she approaches the end of the board she leaps into the air 0.5 meters. She comes down on the board with some speed causing the board to bend. Think of the diving board as a spring with a spring constant of 10,000 N/m. The board then flings her up into the air to some height.

a) To what height above the water does the board send her?

b) What is surprising about your result? What makes it more believable in real life?

Homework Equations

(KE+PEg+PEs)i = (KE+PEg+PEs)F

E=(KE+PEg+PEs) = (.5)mV[tex]_{2}[/tex]+mgx+(.5)kx[tex]_{2}[/tex]

x= E/mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the distance the board bends:

(KE+PEg+PEs)i = (KE+PEg+PEs)F
0+mg(h+d)+0=0+0+(.5)kd[tex]_{2}[/tex]
(70)(9.8)(.5+d)=(.5)(10000)d[tex]_{2}[/tex]
d[tex]_{2}[/tex]-(.1372)d-(.0686)=0
I used the quadratic formula to get d=0.339m

I found the energy:

E=(KE+PEg+PEs) = (.5)mV[tex]_{2}[/tex]+mgx+(.5)kx[tex]_{2}[/tex]
E=0+PEg+PEs)=0+(7)(9.8)(-.339)+(.5)(10000)(-.339)[tex]_{2}[/tex]
E=(-232.554)+(547.605)=342.051

I found the height:

x= E/mg
x= (342.051)/(70)(9.8)=.4986
.4986+1=1.4986 m

The thing here, is it realistic for her to just have a maximum height of 1.4986m? It seems like all I did was add the 0.5 m that she jumped with the height the board is above the water(1m) but as you can see, I didn't. Thus my question is if 1.4986 is my final answer, it that realistic? And I don't know how I should interpret the b part of the problem. Should my answer be coming out to be an outrageously small or big number? Or is a number around 1.5 the answer I should be getting? Please help because I'm just confusing myself.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Great job on solving this problem. I double checked your calculations and they look correct to me. Your final answer of 1.4986m does seem like a reasonable height for the diver to reach after being flung off the board. In real life, there are other factors that may affect the height the diver reaches, such as air resistance and the diver's body position. These factors may make the height slightly different from the calculated value, but overall, your answer seems reasonable and believable. As for the surprising aspect, I believe the fact that the height is not significantly higher than the 1m starting point may be surprising, but as mentioned earlier, there are other factors at play that may affect the final height. Overall, great job on solving this problem and I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a spring force?

A spring force is a type of force that occurs when a spring is compressed or stretched. It is a restoring force that pushes or pulls in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring.

2. How does a diving board use spring forces?

A diving board uses spring forces to provide a bouncy surface for a diver to jump off of. The diving board is designed with a spring-like material, typically fiberglass, that can bend and stretch under the weight of the diver, creating a spring force that propels the diver into the air.

3. What factors affect the spring force of a diving board?

The spring force of a diving board can be affected by several factors, including the material and design of the diving board, the weight of the diver, and the amount of compression or stretching of the diving board.

4. How does the spring force of a diving board change with depth?

The spring force of a diving board typically increases with depth. This is because the deeper the diving board is submerged in water, the more it is compressed, and the greater the spring force that is produced.

5. How can the spring force of a diving board be calculated?

The spring force of a diving board can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed. The equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.