Spring launches a block up a ramp -- How far does it go?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for work through the air and finding the distance using potential and kinetic energy. There is a mention of an error with the potential energy calculation and converting it to velocity to find the length. The concept of frictional force is mentioned and the suggestion to draw a free body diagram is made. The idea of energy transformations during flight is also mentioned, with the equation for range being used to find the correct answer. Overall, the conversation revolves around finding the distance of a block launched at a 45 degree angle with a certain amount of kinetic energy.
jskrzypi
Homework Statement
The spring in the figure has a spring constant of 1000 N/m . It is compressed 13.0 cm , then launches a 200 g block. The horizontal surface is frictionless, but the block's coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.190.
Relevant Equations
Wsp=1/2k(delta x)^2
Wfrict=mu(k)*mgd
Delta U=mg(delta y)
I think I have all the pieces here, and am able to solve for a work through the air. But I have a power output, and don't know how to isolate it to find the distance.

6-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see now I had an error with my potential energy. Height is 2m not 2.82m I like originally calculated. So at the top of the ramp, it still has 3.48 J of projectile motion. I don't know how to convert that to the velocity/acceleration to find the length d.

Check your equation for the frictional force.

Likes jskrzypi
Could you draw a FBD for an instant in which the block is climbing the ramp?
Then, compare the forces and reactions with what you have learned about kinetic friction.

The potential energy of the spring becomes kinetic energy, which means there is velocity of the block at the bottom of the incline.
Some of the original kinetic energy is consumed by the friction of the slope.
In order to fly, the block will need to have enough velocity at the moment it reaches the top of the slope.

The flight time involves new transformations of energy: from top of slope kinetic to maximun reached height gravitational potential to crashing down kinetic energy (disregarding any friction with air).

Likes jskrzypi
So I believe I figured out my error with the friction [needed to multiply by cos 45]. That still leaves me with 3.785 J of projectile work. If K=1/2 mv^2, then v=6.15 m/s launched at a 45 degree angle.

I just found the equation for range...R=2vx*vy/g. Came out to the correct answer of 3.86m.

Thank you both for the assistance.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the definition of a spring launch?

A spring launch is a type of motion where an object is propelled forward by the release of stored potential energy in a compressed spring.

2. How does a spring launch work?

A spring launch works by converting potential energy stored in a compressed spring into kinetic energy, which propels the object forward. This is due to the spring's tendency to return to its original shape, releasing the stored energy.

3. What factors affect the distance a block travels during a spring launch?

The distance a block travels during a spring launch is affected by the initial compression of the spring, the mass of the block, the angle of the ramp, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

4. How can the distance traveled during a spring launch be calculated?

The distance traveled during a spring launch can be calculated using the formula d = (1/2)kx^2, where d is the distance, k is the spring constant, and x is the initial compression of the spring.

5. How can the distance traveled during a spring launch be maximized?

The distance traveled during a spring launch can be maximized by increasing the initial compression of the spring, reducing the mass of the object, increasing the angle of the ramp, and minimizing the effects of external forces such as friction.