Square wave, sampling and verilog clocks

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the frequency of a square wave and a question about verilog and multiple clocks. The first question is solved using a formula to find the sampling frequency, while the second question addresses the issue of communication between clock domains and the potential for metastability. It is advised to operate with a single clock to avoid this problem.
faen

Homework Statement

lab1questions.png

Homework Equations

My question too :)

The Attempt at a Solution

20121203_001023.jpg

Can anybody confirm whether I solved the problem right or wrong? As for the next question about verilog and many clocks I am unable to find a source with that information. Thanks a lot for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
After reading the question about the square wave again, I wonder if a better answer would be as follows:

100/20 = 5. Because the duty cycle is at least 20%.

Then we find 5% of 20% which is 0.05*20=1%. Because the sampling signal must cover 95% of the H value of the square wave. This means that the signal frequency must be 1% of the sampling frequency.

So 10 kHz*100=1000 kHz...

Anyone know if I got it right this time?

I don't quite follow what you were doing but I come up with 1MHz as well by a different way:

Th is smaller than Tl so a max 5% error will be more restricting on the Th parameter.

The error in measured Th is Ts/Th, sample period = Ts, because Ts is the maximum time that can go by between the actual signal changing and the sampler detecting that change.

So:

Ts/Th < 0.05

Th = D*T (duty cycle times period) and is smallest at 20% duty cycle and 10kHz period

Ts < 0.05*Th = 0.05*0.2/10kHz
Fs = 1/Ts > 1 MHz

If you had more than one period to look at this signal, the sample rate could probably go lower.
As for your verilog question, matters do complicate when signals are communicated across clock domains. This is because there is no synchronization between two separately generated clocks. You don't know how much they are displaced in phase and that phase will drift too. So when one signal from clock domain C1 is communicated to clock domain C2, the arriving signal will be valid at a poorly controlled point in C2's period. If the arriving signal is changing as a flip flop in C2's domain samples on its rising C2 edge, metastability will occur. Metastability occurs when a signal is sampled close to the 50% level (half way between a 0 and 1). The closer the signal is to the 50% level, the longer it takes the output of the sampling flip flop to settle to a value. The time is in fact exponential so an input signal very close to 50% may cause the output of this sampling flip flop to be close to 50% on the next sampling in the C2 domain, causing an uncertain signal to propagate into the second domain. Garbage in, garbage out.

The usual recourse is to have signals crossing clock domains to pass through two or three flip flops that only sample the incoming signal on the C2 clock before passing it into the C2 domain. This reduces the chances of propagating a metastable signal at the expense of introducing several periods in delay.

Long story short, operate with a single clock whenever possible to avoid this problem. Perhaps metastability was mentioned in your course.

1. What is a square wave?

A square wave is a type of waveform that is characterized by its sharp and distinct edges. It has two distinct levels - a high level and a low level - and transitions between these levels occur abruptly.

2. What is sampling in the context of electronics?

Sampling is the process of converting an analog signal into a digital signal by taking discrete samples of the analog signal at regular intervals of time. This is done in order to be able to process and analyze the signal using digital techniques.

3. How does a Verilog clock work?

A Verilog clock is a signal that is used to synchronize the operations of a digital circuit. It works by sending a series of pulses at a regular interval, which allows the circuit to perform its operations in a sequential and orderly manner.

4. What is the importance of clock signals in digital circuits?

Clock signals are crucial in digital circuits as they provide a reference for timing and synchronization. This ensures that the operations of the circuit are carried out in a predictable and synchronized manner, preventing errors and ensuring reliable performance.

5. How do you generate a square wave in Verilog?

A square wave can be generated in Verilog by using a counter and assigning the counter's output to the desired wave. The counter can be incremented at a specific frequency to control the frequency of the square wave.