Stability of Classical Heisenberg Spins (Equation of Motion)

In summary: This discrepancy is also likely the reason for the positive Lyapunov exponents observed in some papers. Ultimately, this highlights the limitations of models and the importance of considering the underlying assumptions and approximations. In summary, the classical Heisenberg model without an external field can exhibit chaotic behavior, even though it has a fixed point where all spins align. This is due to the approximations made in transforming the model to the Kuramoto model, which has a different fixed point.
rad1um
Consider the classical Heisenberg model without an external field which is defined by the Hamiltonian:

[tex] \mathcal{H} = -\sum_{ij} J_{ij} \vec{s_i}\vec{s_j} [/tex]

where [tex]J_{ij} > 0[/tex] describes the coupling between the spins [tex] \vec{s}_i \in \mathbb{R}^3 [/tex] on some lattice. (Is there a way to use tex inline?)

In my undergad courses we usually analised this model when coupled to a heat bath e.g. by usiang a Metropolis algorithm. We can however write down the equation of motion using Hamilton formalism leading to
[tex] \dot{\vec{s}_i} = \{ \vec{s}_i, \mathcal{H}\} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{H}}{\partial \vec{s}_i} \times \vec{s}_i = -\left( \sum_j J_{ij} \vec{s}_j \right) \times \vec{s}_i.[/tex]
My understanding is that this ODE describes the behavior of spins w/o a heat bath i.e. at T=0. This would mean that the fixed point of the system is the case where all spins align. In fact we can easily see that this is a fixed point of the system, since
[tex] \vec{s}_{||} \times \vec{s}_{||} = \vec{0} \text{ and thus } \dot{\vec{s_i}} = \vec{0}.[/tex]

However, when numerically solving this model (e.g. for a lattice with 3 sites where all sites are neighbors) I found that the fixed point is highly unstable and that the system has chaotic features. At first I thought my implementation was wrong, but I also read a few papers where the authors found positive Lyapunov exponents consequencing un-stability (see here for example: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1209.1468.pdf).

What makes this even weirder for me is that we can transform the EOM of the Heisenberg model to the the Kuramoto model, like so

[tex] \left | \dot{\vec{s}_i} \right| = \sum_j J_{ij} \left| \vec{s}_j \times \vec{s}_i \right| = \sum_j J_{ij} \mathrm{sin}(\phi_j - \phi_i) = \dot{\phi_i}[/tex]
where [tex] \phi_j - \phi_i [/tex] is the difference of angles between two spins. And the Kuramoto model has a stable fixed point for all [tex] \Delta \phi_i = 0, [/tex] which would translate to full alignmed of all spins.

Somewhere I am doing a mistake. It would be awesome if someone could enlighten me.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:)Your mistake is assuming that the transformation from the Heisenberg model to the Kuramoto model is exact. In reality, it is only an approximation, which means that the fixed point of the Heisenberg model may not be the same as the fixed point of the Kuramoto model. Moreover, the dynamics of the two models will generally be different, which is why the Heisenberg model can have chaotic features while the Kuramoto model does not.

1. What is the equation of motion for classical Heisenberg spins?

The equation of motion for classical Heisenberg spins is given by the Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert (LLG) equation, which describes the dynamics of a magnetic moment in a magnetic field. It is written as:
dM/dt = -γM x H + αM x (M x H)

2. What does the LLG equation represent?

The LLG equation represents the precession and damping of a magnetic moment in response to an external magnetic field. It takes into account both the magnetic moment's tendency to align with the external field (precession) and its tendency to dissipate energy (damping).

3. How is the stability of classical Heisenberg spins determined?

The stability of classical Heisenberg spins is determined by analyzing the solutions of the LLG equation. If the solutions are stable, the magnetic moment will precess around the external field without dissipating energy. If the solutions are unstable, the magnetic moment will either oscillate or spiral out of control.

4. What factors affect the stability of classical Heisenberg spins?

The stability of classical Heisenberg spins is affected by several factors, including the strength of the external magnetic field, the strength of the exchange interaction between spins, and the strength of the damping term (represented by the parameter α in the LLG equation). Additionally, the crystal structure and temperature of the material can also affect the stability of the spins.

5. How is the LLG equation used in practical applications?

The LLG equation is used in practical applications such as magnetic storage devices, spintronics, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It is also used in research to study the dynamics of magnetic materials and to understand the behavior of spin systems.