Stages of Mitosis Photomicrograph Help

• Biology
  • Thread starter AN630078
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of cells in different phases of mitosis using a photomicrograph. Question 1 identifies the cell as being in anaphase based on the visible spindle fibres and the movement of chromatids. Question 2 discusses potential reasons for the unusual appearance of the cells in the photomicrograph and the impact of mounting and staining techniques on the cells' appearance. The conversation concludes with appreciation for the insight provided.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have a question specifically regarding a photomicrograph of two cells in the process of mitosis. I have answered both questions but I am rather stumbling on the second question and would appreciate any opinions on this matter. I having been endeavouring to better identify the stages of mitosis and meiosis from photomicrographs which is why I am using this question for revision purposes but I am uncertain in my evaluation.

Question 1: State the stage of mitosis shown by the bottom cell of the two, explain your choice.

Question 2; State the stage of meiosis shown by the top cell of the two. Explain your choice and describe why this is not a typical view of the stage in question.

Sorry I am rather struggling here and would be very grateful of any help 👍
Relevant Equations
Mitosis
Question 1:
I believe that the cell is in anaphase, as the spindle fibres attached to the centromeres of the chromosomes shorten the chromatids are pulled to the opposite poles of the spindle which is visible in the photomicrograph.

Question 2;

I believe the top cell is on prophase, since the chromosomes increasingly shorten and thicken by supercoiling and condense to become visible. During this phase, spindle fibres emerge from the centrosomes, the nuclear envelope breaks down and the nucleolus disappears also.

I am not sure why this is not a typical view of the stage in question, would it be because the chromosomes are rather bundled together or perhaps is it in relation to the nuclear envelope?

Attachments

• Photomicrograph.png
    Photomicrograph.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 170
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. Sometimes getting the cells in perfect unaltered shape under the microscope does not happen. The pressure of a cover plate can do funny things to living cells, like squish them a little. I've seen anaphase cells in laboratory grade commercial allium root tip slides that looked weird. Metaphase, telophase too. Lots of other things as well.

To actually answer why:
We would need to know more about how the specimen was mounted and or stained. Hanging drop is hard to focus on living cells but does the least damage to them

jim mcnamara said:
Your answers are correct. Sometimes getting the cells in perfect unaltered shape under the microscope does not happen. The pressure of a cover plate can do funny things to living cells, like squish them a little. I've seen anaphase cells in laboratory grade commercial allium root tip slides that looked weird. Metaphase, telophase too. Lots of other things as well.

To actually answer why:
We would need to know more about how the specimen was mounted and or stained. Hanging drop is hard to focus on living cells but does the least damage to them

Wow, thank you so much for your reply I truly appreciate it, I had really been stuck here. Of course, I had not considered over zealous pressure applied to the slides or lateral movement causing them to distort or rupture. Thank you very much again, your insight and reply was very interesting 👍😄

1. What are the stages of mitosis?

The stages of mitosis are prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, and cytokinesis. These stages are part of the cell division process in which a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells.

2. How can I identify the stages of mitosis in a photomicrograph?

To identify the stages of mitosis in a photomicrograph, look for specific characteristics in each stage. In prophase, you will see condensed chromosomes and the formation of the mitotic spindle. In metaphase, the chromosomes will align at the center of the cell. Anaphase is characterized by the separation of sister chromatids, and in telophase, the cell will start to divide. Cytokinesis is the final stage where the cell fully divides into two daughter cells.

3. What is the purpose of mitosis?

The purpose of mitosis is to ensure the proper distribution of genetic material to daughter cells during cell division. It allows for the growth and repair of tissues and organs in multicellular organisms.

4. Can I use photomicrographs to study mitosis in different organisms?

Yes, photomicrographs can be used to study mitosis in different organisms. While the stages of mitosis are similar in all eukaryotic cells, there may be slight variations in the process depending on the organism. By comparing photomicrographs of mitosis in different organisms, scientists can better understand the similarities and differences in the process.

5. How do I prepare a photomicrograph of mitosis?

To prepare a photomicrograph of mitosis, you will need to first obtain a sample of cells undergoing mitosis. Then, using a microscope, you can capture images of the cells in each stage of mitosis. It is important to use proper staining techniques to highlight the chromosomes and other structures involved in mitosis. Finally, you can use image editing software to enhance and label the photomicrograph for better analysis.