Biology - Different Stages of Mitosis

• Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the M Phase of the cell cycle involves distinct stages such as prophase, prometaphase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. During prometaphase, microtubules attach to chromosomes via the kinetochore. Spindle fibers form during prophase. Cytokinesis, the process of dividing the cell into two daughter cells, occurs after mitosis and is often considered part of the mitotic process.
MadmanMurray

Homework Statement

I'm studying for a biology test at the moment and I'm reading about the M Phase of the cell cycle but I can't really grasp where the boundaries between each phase lies.

I'm reading my notes as well as wikipedia but neither make it clear which stage each process occurs in. For example my notes under the Metaphase heading say "The microtubules have now formed mature spindle fibres that attach to chromosomes via the kinetichore.

Did the spindle fibres occur in the prophase or do they occur in the metaphase. Also what I'm not sure about is whether cytokinesis is part of mitosis or is a separate process. My notes make the distinction between karyokinesis (nuclear division) and cytokinesis (cell division) but they list cytokinesis as one of the stages of mitosis. Wikipedia on the other hand defines cytokinesis as a process that occurs directly after mitosis. Which is it? Is cytokinesis a part of mitosis? If not then would karyokinesis basically encompass all of mitosis?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
MadmanMurray said:

Homework Statement

I'm studying for a biology test at the moment and I'm reading about the M Phase of the cell cycle but I can't really grasp where the boundaries between each phase lies.

I'm reading my notes as well as wikipedia but neither make it clear which stage each process occurs in. For example my notes under the Metaphase heading say "The microtubules have now formed mature spindle fibres that attach to chromosomes via the kinetichore.
Try looking at additional references, besides class notes and wiki.
This http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Cell_bio/tutorials/cell_cycle/cells3.html describes microtubule attachement at the kinetichore, occurs during prometaphase.

Did the spindle fibres occur in the prophase or do they occur in the metaphase.
Spindle fibers form during prophase (see last reference)

Also what I'm not sure about is whether cytokinesis is part of mitosis or is a separate process. My notes make the distinction between karyokinesis (nuclear division) and cytokinesis (cell division) but they list cytokinesis as one of the stages of mitosis. Wikipedia on the other hand defines cytokinesis as a process that occurs directly after mitosis. Which is it?
It sounds like they are playing with semantics. Cytokinesis, does follow mitotic division of the organelles & nucleus. It is where the cell pinches off, making two separate daughter cells. It is often considered part of the mitotic process. (see last reference).

Last edited by a moderator:

The process of mitosis can be divided into four main stages: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase. Each stage has distinct characteristics and events that occur. The boundaries between each phase can be determined by the specific changes that take place in the cell.

In prophase, the chromatin (loosely packed DNA) condenses into visible chromosomes. The nuclear envelope breaks down and the centrosomes move to opposite poles of the cell, forming the mitotic spindle. This is where the spindle fibers are formed.

In metaphase, the chromosomes line up along the equator of the cell and the spindle fibers attach to the kinetochore of each chromosome. This is the stage where the microtubules have formed mature spindle fibers that attach to the chromosomes, as mentioned in your notes.

In anaphase, the sister chromatids are separated and pulled towards opposite poles of the cell by the spindle fibers.

In telophase, the nuclear envelope reforms around the separated sister chromatids and the cell prepares for cytokinesis, which is the process of cell division.

Cytokinesis can occur either during or after mitosis, depending on the type of cell. In animal cells, cytokinesis occurs after mitosis, while in plant cells it occurs during mitosis. So, your notes and Wikipedia are both correct in their descriptions of cytokinesis. It can be considered a part of mitosis, as it is the final step in the division of the cell, but it is also a separate process.

In summary, the boundaries between each phase of mitosis can be determined by the specific changes that occur in the cell, such as the formation of spindle fibers in metaphase. Cytokinesis can be considered a part of mitosis, but it is also a separate process that occurs after or during mitosis. Karyokinesis encompasses all of mitosis, as it refers to the division of the nucleus, which is the main focus of mitosis.

1. What are the different stages of mitosis?

The different stages of mitosis are prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, and cytokinesis. During prophase, the chromosomes condense and the nuclear envelope breaks down. In metaphase, the chromosomes line up at the center of the cell. Anaphase is when the sister chromatids separate and move to opposite ends of the cell. Telophase is the final stage of mitosis, where the nuclear envelope reforms and the cell begins to divide. Cytokinesis is the division of the cytoplasm, resulting in two daughter cells.

2. What happens during prophase?

During prophase, the chromosomes condense and become visible under a microscope. The nuclear envelope also breaks down, allowing the chromosomes to move freely in the cell. The centrosomes, which contain the microtubules that help move the chromosomes, also start to move to opposite ends of the cell.

3. How does metaphase differ from prophase?

In metaphase, the chromosomes line up at the center of the cell and are attached to the spindle fibers. This is different from prophase, where the chromosomes are still condensing and the nuclear envelope has not yet broken down. Metaphase is considered the middle stage of mitosis, while prophase is the first stage.

4. What is the purpose of anaphase?

Anaphase is the stage of mitosis where the sister chromatids, which make up the duplicated chromosomes, separate and move to opposite ends of the cell. This ensures that each daughter cell will receive a complete set of chromosomes when the cell divides. Anaphase is a crucial step in maintaining the correct number of chromosomes in each cell.

5. How is cytokinesis different from mitosis?

Cytokinesis is the process of dividing the cytoplasm and forming two daughter cells. This is different from mitosis, which is the division of the nucleus and the separation of the chromosomes. While mitosis is a part of the cell cycle and is necessary for growth and repair, cytokinesis is specifically the final step in cell division.