Stainless steel friction / galling

In summary, brass or bronze will be good where A&B contact D. If you want to reduce friction between C and D, then UHMW tape will work well.
pete
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on materials. In the picture A, B and C are stainless steel. Pressure is applied at B rotating D in the socket and raising A. D needs to be as strong as possible to resist the load but I’m concerned about D rubbing against C as there is no lubrication. I can't change A, B and C and need D to be non corrosive, stainless steel is going to course galling so was considering a plastic like Tufnol, or maybe some kind of ceramic? Any advice?

Galling_S.jpg

Attachments

• Galling_S.jpg
    Galling_S.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 946
Engineering news on Phys.org
Brass does not gall against stainless steel. Nylatron is a good plastic, it is commonly used to make gears.

Thanks, both look like good suggestions, I'm looking to see if I can sit a strip of PTFE or Nylon between D and C then maybe
D in Brass or Bronze, I think Bronze is also good and makes for a stronger part?

I have to close this up and forget about it and know it’ll do it’s job for as long as possible so tape sounds a bit scary, the force at B is a M12 lever and A is a fixed surface, it’s part of a clamp. I’ll have a look at UHMW though sounds like interesting stuff.

What is the corrosive fluid? Water? Salt brine? Acid?

There are less corrosion problems with bronze than with brass. Stainless steel is only stainless in an excess oxygen environment.

Lubrication will be difficult or inefficient because the C to D surface cannot be sealed. If D is plastic, grit will become embedded in the surface of D and act as an abrasive against A, B and C.

The total force of A and B on D must be carried on the D-C contact. But the area of the A-D and B-D contacts are significantly smaller with much higher pressures. Any horizontal movement of the A-D or B-D will wear those surfaces. To reduce that horizontal movement, the axis of D should lie on the straight line, or plane, between the axes of rotation of A and B. If that cannot be done, the flat face of D should not be a diameter, but be cut as two planes or a chord.

The A to B lever ratio will be highly dependent on the distances of the A-D and B-D contact lines from the axis of D. That will change as movement occurs because of the shape of the A and B contact bumps will roll along the sloped flat surface of D.

Thanks for the input Baluncore, I missed you post. That's not really an accurate picture of the part I just wanted to describe the type of surface contact. Never the less some of the points you made are valid to the original component idea and were very helpful. It’s a type of clamp so just corrosive resistant as in left outdoors over night, it’s not a marine or corrosive industrial environment though I suppose it could be used around salt water.

1. What is stainless steel friction/galling?

Stainless steel friction/galling is a phenomenon that occurs when two pieces of stainless steel rub against each other. This can result in the transfer of material from one surface to the other, causing damage and wear.

2. What causes stainless steel friction/galling?

Stainless steel friction/galling is primarily caused by the high strength and hardness of stainless steel, combined with its low thermal conductivity. This creates high levels of friction and heat between surfaces, leading to the transfer of material and galling.

3. How can stainless steel friction/galling be prevented?

There are several methods for preventing stainless steel friction/galling, including the use of lubricants, coatings, and surface treatments. Additionally, selecting the appropriate grade of stainless steel and controlling the speed and pressure of rubbing surfaces can also help prevent galling.

4. What are the consequences of stainless steel friction/galling?

Stainless steel friction/galling can result in severe damage to the surfaces of the material, reducing its strength and durability. It can also lead to increased maintenance costs and downtime in industrial settings.

5. How is stainless steel friction/galling tested and measured?

There are various methods for testing and measuring stainless steel friction/galling, including ASTM G98 and ASTM G196 standards. These tests involve subjecting the materials to rubbing and measuring the amount of material transfer and wear on the surfaces.