Battery school project assistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a battery with an aluminum casing and a copper cathode, but due to time constraints, a stainless steel anode must be used. The question arises about using coatings or polymers to prevent the sulfuric acid from contacting the aluminum. The possibility of using lead oxide or alum on the stainless steel plate is also mentioned. It is suggested that good electric insulation of the aluminum or using glass or plastic containers may be helpful in this situation.
shushi_boi
Hello everyone!

I'm almost done with a project of mine and I'm creating a battery with an aluminum casing around. Inside I have a copper electrode (cathode) and due to lack of finding a correct dimension I have to resort to using a stainless steel anode (and I'm also running out of time)

So I figured since the active materials that will react in this galvanic set up will be copper and aluminum, I tried to figure something out where I can somehow only make the copper and stainless steel be the only two to react

(I can't replace the aluminum housing because it is the only one available to me, and right one for the components and dimensions involved)

Are there coatings or polymers that I can using to cover up the inside of the housing that will make the sulfuric acid not contact the aluminum?

In this video this man build a battery from stainless steel kitchen knifes and he got decent voltage out of it, and I don't really care at this point how much voltage I can produce from the small electrode difference potential between the copper and stainless steel.

Would I have to paste some lead oxide on the stainless steel plate (anode) or alum? If so would I also need to put a separator over the stainless steel plate just so that the oxide remains intact to the place?
(so that when I drown the plates in a sulfuric acid solution, the paste won't wash away)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A good electric insulation of the aluminium (relative to the other parts) could help.
Direct containers... well glass would work. Or replace a part of your housing with more steel. Some types of plastics can work as well.

1. What materials do I need for a battery school project?

Some common materials for a battery school project include copper and zinc strips, wire, alligator clips, a multimeter, and various household items like lemons, potatoes, or vinegar. You may also need safety equipment such as gloves and goggles.

2. How do I assemble a battery for my school project?

To assemble a basic battery, you will need to connect a copper strip and a zinc strip with a wire. Then, connect the other end of the wire to a multimeter. You can then experiment with different household items as electrolytes to see which ones produce the most voltage.

3. Can I make a battery without using potentially harmful chemicals?

Yes, there are alternative methods for creating batteries using materials like saltwater, fruits, or even mud. These methods use natural electrolytes and are generally safer than using chemicals like sulfuric acid.

4. How can I make my battery project stand out?

There are many ways to make your battery project stand out, such as using unique materials, creating a visually appealing design, or conducting experiments to compare different types of batteries. You can also research and include information about the history and development of batteries.

5. Can I use my battery project to power other devices?

It is possible to use your battery project to power small devices like LED lights or motors. However, it may require multiple batteries or a larger homemade battery to generate enough voltage and current to power larger devices.