Standard Conditions and Molar Enthelpy Changes

In summary: All of the quantities mentioned above depend on temperature and pressure to varying extents. Is that correct?
PFuser1232
The following is a list of various quantities (molar enthalpy changes) found in a typical Chemistry course:

• Atomization Enthalpy
  • Formation Enthalpy
  • Combustion Enthalpy
  • Neutralization Enthalpy
  • Solution Enthalpy
  • Hydration Enthalpy
  • Ionization Energy
  • Electron Affinity
  • Lattice Energy
  • Bond Energy (and mean bond energy)
  • Lattice Dissociation Enthalpy
  • Reaction Enthalpy
For which of the aforementioned quantities is it meaningful to include "standard conditions" as a part of the quantity's definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty good homework question if you ask me. Moving it.

Whether it is HW or not - what are your thoughts?

Borek said:

It's not homework actually.
Well, I think standard conditions are applicable to all of the above quantities except atomization enthalpy, ionization energy, electron affinity, and bond energy. Is that correct? Frankly, I still have trouble imagining how we can extrapolate other molar enthalpy values to standard conditions. Anyway, is my answer correct?

Borek said:

MohammedRady97 said:
It's not homework actually.
Well, I think standard conditions are applicable to all of the above quantities except atomization enthalpy, ionization energy, electron affinity, and bond energy. Is that correct? Frankly, I still have trouble imagining how we can extrapolate other molar enthalpy values to standard conditions. Anyway, is my answer correct?

?

In general, if we want enthalpies of a process to be comparable, we have to somehow extrapolate them - if not to standard, then at least to identical conditions.

You can always use Hess law for that.

Likes PFuser1232
Borek said:
In general, if we want enthalpies of a process to be comparable, we have to somehow extrapolate them - if not to standard, then at least to identical conditions.

You can always use Hess law for that.

What about the first question?

Doesn't "comparability" answer it?

Really, a lot depends on what you are aiming at, so the answer is "it depends".

Borek said:
Doesn't "comparability" answer it?

Really, a lot depends on what you are aiming at, so the answer is "it depends".

So, for instance, would ionization energy at 298 K and 101 kPa differ from ionization energy at some other pressure and temperature?

As far as I can tell, as long as the temperature is low enough for the molecules to be in the ground state - it shouldn't.

But I am not convinced measuring ionization energies of non-volatile elements can be done at low temperatures, so it can be a practical problem.

Borek said:
As far as I can tell, as long as the temperature is low enough for the molecules to be in the ground state - it shouldn't.

But I am not convinced measuring ionization energies of non-volatile elements can be done at low temperatures, so it can be a practical problem.

So is it correct to say that all of the quantities above depend on temperature and pressure to varying extents (however small)?

What are standard conditions?

Standard conditions refer to a set of specific conditions used for measuring and reporting certain physical and chemical properties. These conditions include a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius (298.15 K) and a pressure of 1 bar.

What is the significance of standard conditions in scientific experiments?

Standard conditions allow for consistency and comparability in experiments, as they provide a common baseline for measurements. This is particularly important in thermodynamic studies, as it allows for accurate calculations and comparisons of molar enthalpy changes.

What is molar enthalpy change?

Molar enthalpy change, also known as molar enthalpy of reaction, is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction per mole of the reactant or product. It is typically measured in kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

How is molar enthalpy change calculated?

Molar enthalpy change can be calculated using the formula ΔH = q/n, where ΔH is the molar enthalpy change, q is the amount of heat energy exchanged, and n is the number of moles of the substance.

What factors can affect molar enthalpy change?

The molar enthalpy change of a reaction can be affected by factors such as the temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. The physical state of the reactants and products, as well as the presence of a catalyst, can also impact the molar enthalpy change.