Standard designation for generalization of Euler-Lagrange?

In summary, the equation discussed in this conversation is known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, but it has also been referred to as the Euler-Poisson equation or the Euler-Poisson-Darboux equation. In the text "Ricci Calculus" and "Tensor Analysis for Physicists", it is referred to as the "Lagrange Derivative". This term can also be found in other works, such as "Calculus of Variations" by Elgots and "Natural Variational Principles on Reimannian Manifolds" by Ian M. Anderson. The Lagrange derivative is defined as the functional derivative, which is used to solve the Euler-Lagrange equation in the case of multiple variables.
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In Wiki's article on the Euler-Lagrange equation , under "Generalizations">'Single function of single variable...', there is an equation (stated in main text). Is there a standard name for it? Some Russian authors call it the Euler-Poisson equation.
In English, does the equation
1641272080870.png

have any standard name besides (generalization of) the Euler-Lagrange Theorem? I have seen the designation "Euler-Poisson Equation" used by the Russian mathematician Lev Elsholtz way back in 1956 repeated in recent Russian webpages, but am not sure whether this would be recognizable (perhaps with a footnote?) by English-speaking mathematicians. (Not to get mixed up with either the Euler-Poisson-Darboux Equation or the Euler-Poisson Integral.)

I was unsure whether to post this in the mathematics or the physics section, as it is strictly speaking mathematics but mainly used in physics. If a moderator wishes to move it, then my thanks in advance to that moderator.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Schouten's Ricci Calculus (Springer) and his Tensor Analysis for Physicists (Dover),
he refers to the "Lagrange Derivative".

previews from Google Books... search for "lagrange derivative"

From Ricci Calculus,
1642179906915.png

1642179928749.png
From Tensor Analysis for Physicists,
1642180247088.png

1642180287607.png

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, robphy. (Sorry for the delayed response.)

(You attached the same excerpt twice.)

Unfortunately, when I googled "Lagrange derivative", I came up empty (i.e., nothing under that title, and, google sending me what was closest, everything was about the Euler-Lagrange Equation).

I am working through the text you sent. Given that I am close to nil in differential equations, perhaps you can answer a couple of questions on it. First,
1642344338512.png

1642345096448.png

Wouldn't that make the Script-L a functional?

I am attempting to see whether this text would help me interpret the so-called Euler-Poisson equation in where the partial derivatives such as
1642346559291.png

in the Euler-Lagrange equation are replaced by the "total partial derivative", or "complete partial derivative",
1642346588105.png

which are defined as follows (Elgots, Calculus of Variations)
1642345442946.png

Is the "complete partial derivative" here the same as the "total derivative"?

For which situation(s) is the replacement of partial derivatives by "total partial derivatives" in the Euler-Lagrange equation useful/valid? It appears that when one applies this new equation to a Lagrangian, one is likely to get a different answer than the application of the usual Euler-Lagrange equation, so the circumstances must be different, no?

Sorry if the question is obvious, but my level of "diffy-Q" is rather basic. Thanks for any help.

nomadreid said:
Thanks very much, robphy. (Sorry for the delayed response.)

(You attached the same excerpt twice.)

Hmmm... that's odd. I see 4 distinct images, 2 each from the two works (p.111, 112 from Ricci Calculus, p 78-79, 79-80).

with quotes

I've been interested in Schouten's work for a while...
so I recall seeing the "Lagrange derivative"
... and, thus, my response.
Unfortunately, I don't know any more details, except for these terms that may be related to what you seek.

Likes nomadreid
I know it as the functional derivative: You define
$$S[q]=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t L(q,\dot{q},\ddot{q},\ldots)$$
as a functional on the space of trajectories ##q(t)## with fixed initial and final point. Then via variation and integration by parts you get
$$\delta S=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t (\partial_q L - \mathrm{d}_t \partial_{\dot{q}} L + \mathrm{d}_t^2 \partial_{\ddot{q}} L+\cdots).$$
This defines the functional derivative as
$$\frac{\delta S}{\delta q(t)} = \partial_q L - \mathrm{d}_t \partial_{\dot{q}} L + \mathrm{d}_t^2 \partial_{\ddot{q}} L+\cdots$$

Likes nomadreid
Thanks very much, robphy and vanhees71. Very helpful!

1. What is the standard designation for generalization of Euler-Lagrange?

The standard designation for generalization of Euler-Lagrange is the Hamilton's principle.

2. What is the purpose of generalization of Euler-Lagrange?

The purpose of generalization of Euler-Lagrange is to provide a mathematical framework for understanding the dynamics of a physical system and predicting its behavior.

3. How is the generalization of Euler-Lagrange different from the original Euler-Lagrange equation?

The generalization of Euler-Lagrange includes additional terms that account for non-conservative forces and constraints, making it applicable to a wider range of systems compared to the original Euler-Lagrange equation.

4. What are the key components of the generalization of Euler-Lagrange?

The key components of the generalization of Euler-Lagrange are the Lagrangian function, the generalized coordinates, and the generalized forces. These components are used to derive the equations of motion for a system.

5. How is the generalization of Euler-Lagrange used in practical applications?

The generalization of Euler-Lagrange is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in optimization problems to find the most efficient path or trajectory for a system.