Standard deviation of V_x of He gas

In summary, we have determined that the standard deviation of the x-velocity, ##\sigma_{v_x}##, is equal to the root mean square speed, ##v_{rms}##, which is also equal to the square root of the average squared velocity, ##\sqrt{\left<v_x^2\right>}##. This is based on the equation ##\sigma^2_{v_x}=\left<v_x^2\right>-\left<v_x\right>^2##, where ##\left<v_x\right>=0##. Therefore, the correct answer to the question is option (d).
Pushoam

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

## \frac 1 2 m<v_x^2> =\frac 1 2 k_BT ,

\\ \sqrt{ <v_x^2>} = 556~ m/s ## So, I guess that the standard deviation should be less than rms speed.

So, the option is (a)

## \left< ax + b \right> = a\left<x\right> + b ##

So, ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##

Is this correct?
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it your last statement, you are attempting to write ## \sigma^2=E(X^2)-(EX)^2 ##. If that is the case, and you are saying ## EX=0 ## , yes, it is correct. Please put in the mass and temperature so that we can check your arithmetic. For the final answer, the standard deviation, ## \sigma_{v_x}=\sqrt{E(v_x)^2}=v_{x \, rms} ##. Also, the statement of the problem is incomplete. The available answers did not show up.

Last edited:
The question is not showing in the OP. So, posting it again.
upload_2017-12-26_22-4-13.png

Charles Link said:
I think it your last statement, you are attempting to write ## \sigma^2=E(X^2)-(EX)^2 ##. I
I didn't understand what you mean by the above line. Please explain the symbol EX and so on.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-26_22-4-13.png
    upload_2017-12-26_22-4-13.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 745
Pushoam said:
The question is not showing in the OP. So, posting it again.
View attachment 217447

I didn't understand what you mean by the above line. Please explain the symbol EX and so on.
In probability theory, the ## E ## means expectancy. ## EX ## is the same thing as ## <X> ##.

Pushoam said:

So, ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##

In the above statement, as ## < v_x ^2> ## is constant, I am taking it out of ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right>## and hence I got ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##.
But, this way I will always get 0 standard deviation. So, something is wrong with it. Right?

Pushoam said:
In the above statement, as ## < v_x ^2> ## is constant, I am taking it out of ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right>## and hence I got ## \left< v_x^2 - <v_x^2> \right> = \left< v_x^2\right> - \left< v_x^2\right> = 0 ##.
But, this way I will always get 0 standard deviation. So, something is wrong with it. Right?
The equation correctly reads ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<v_x^2>-<v_x>^2 ##. ## \\ ## Editing: This comes from ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<(v_x-<v_x>)^2> ##. And I think your arithmetic in the OP is incorrect.

Last edited:
Likes Pushoam
## \sqrt{ <v_x^2>} = \sqrt{ \frac { k_BT = 4.14 * 10^{-21}}{m=4* m_p = 6.69 * 10^{-27}}}= 786~ m/s ##

Is this correct?

Likes Charles Link
Yes. Very good. Round that off and (d) becomes the correct answer. See also my edited additions to post 6.

Likes Pushoam
Charles Link said:
See also my edited additions to post 6.
I reloaded the page three times. Still, no edition to post #6 is shown.
What I get in post # 6 is:
Charles Link said:
The equation correctly reads ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<v_x^2>-<v_x>^2 ##. This comes from ## \sigma^2_{v_x}=<(v_x-<v_x>)^2> ##. And I think your arithmetic in the OP is incorrect.

Pushoam said:
I reloaded the page three times. Still, no edition to post #6 is shown.
What I get in post # 6 is:
I didn't use the word "edit". Let me put it in there for clarity. After I wrote the original post, I came back a couple of minutes later and added the last two sentences.

Likes Pushoam
Thanks.

Likes Charles Link
Now I understood.

## \sigma_{v_x} = \sqrt{ \left< (v_x - \left <v_x \right >)^2 \right> = \left < v_x^2 \right > – 2 \left < v_x \right >^2 + \left < v_x \right >^2 = \left < v_x^2 \right > – \left < v_x \right >^2 }##

Since , ## \left < v_x \right > = 0 ##

## \sigma_{v_x} = v_{rms} ##

Likes Charles Link
Very good. :) (You need a parenthesis { } around v_x in the subscript of ## \sigma_{v_x} ##. Then your Latex will work.)

Likes Pushoam

What is the standard deviation of V_x of He gas?

The standard deviation of V_x of He gas is a measure of the amount of variation or dispersion of the values in a set of data. Specifically, it measures the average distance of each data point from the mean of the data set. In the case of V_x of He gas, it measures the variability of the velocity component in the x-direction for a sample of He gas.

Why is the standard deviation of V_x of He gas important?

The standard deviation of V_x of He gas is important because it provides information about the spread of data and how much the values deviate from the mean. It can help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of He gas in terms of its velocity in the x-direction, which can have implications in various fields such as physics and chemistry.

How is the standard deviation of V_x of He gas calculated?

The standard deviation of V_x of He gas is calculated by taking the square root of the variance of the data set. The variance is calculated by finding the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean. The square root of the variance gives the standard deviation, which is expressed in the same units as the original data.

What factors can affect the standard deviation of V_x of He gas?

The standard deviation of V_x of He gas can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the properties of the container in which the gas is contained. Changes in these factors can alter the velocity of the gas particles and therefore affect the standard deviation of V_x. Additionally, the amount and type of impurities present in the gas can also impact the standard deviation.

How is the standard deviation of V_x of He gas interpreted?

The standard deviation of V_x of He gas can be interpreted as a measure of the spread of data around the mean. A higher standard deviation indicates a larger dispersion of data points, while a lower standard deviation indicates a smaller dispersion. This can be useful in understanding the distribution of velocities of He gas particles in the x-direction and can provide insights into the behavior of the gas.