Standard Deviation with Paired Values

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with quantifying the fluorescence of bacteria in a multiwell plate. They have created a standard curve to compare absorbance values and have realized that their original method of calculating their value of interest may be incorrect. They are unsure about the error propagation in their calculations and are seeking assistance in determining the correct approach. They also mention that the x-intercept in their measurements is a 100% correlated error source.
Roo2
Hello,

Upon following advice from BvU I'm starting a new thread to request help on a concrete issue I have. I have a container with 12x8 wells. Each well contains a roughly equal amount of bacteria. The bacteria are fluorescent, and I am trying to quantify their fluorescence as precisely as possible. Each strain of bacteria that I test is treated in replicate - that is, I grow it in 4 - 6 wells, depending on the experiment. To normalize for the fact that the pipetting and growth rates are not identical between wells, I am normalizing the fluorescence of the bacteria by the absorbance through the well, which scales linearly with bacterial concentration and volume of solution.

When I read absorbance, 0 bacteria (empty media) produced a non-zero value. Therefore, I made a standard curve comparing absorbance using the multiplate reader and absorbance of the same sample using a cuvette spectrophotometer, in which the pathlength is constant and measurement variability is minimal (and which is blanked such that empty media is set to 0). I performed a dilution of a bacterial culture and for each concentration, I measured once on the spectrophotometer and 12 replicate wells in the plate reader (to encompass variability in pipetting and well-to-well variation). The standard curve appears below:

0NoX5S0.png

For tabulating my value of interest (fluorescence normalized by absorbance), I was originally doing the following:

1. Compute mean absorbance for n replicates of a given sample
2. Background subtract the intercept of the calibration curve (0.042) and propagate the standard deviation in mean absorbance with that of the intercept (0.0008).
3. Divide mean fluorescence by the quantity computed in step 2, and propagate the standard deviations of both quantities.

However, I realized that this is probably the wrong way to go about the issue - the absorbance of a given well provides information only about that well, not any of the other replicates. Therefore, it seems that the best way to compute my value of interest would be to compute (fluorescence/absorbance) for each of n wells, and report the mean +/- s.d. of those. However, absorbance is actually the background-subtracted quantity calculated in step 2 above, except now for each individual sample's absorbance rather than the mean absorbance.

My point of confusion is in the error propagation. I am subtracting a minuend with no standard deviation (the measurement of raw absorbance for the nth sample) and a subtrahend with an associated standard deviation (the intercept of my regression). In this case, to propagate the error of the measurement, is the following strategy appropriate?

1. s.d.(absorbance) = s.d.(absorbanceraw) propagated with s.d.(regression intercept)
- result: s.d.(absorbance) = s.d.(intercept) = 0.0008 because the s.d. of a single raw absorbance measurement is 0.

2. fluorescence (f) / absorbance (a): s.d.(fluorescence) = 0 because it's a single measurement. s.d.(absorbance) is calculated in step 1.
- result: s.d.(f/a) = (f/a) * sqrt { (s.d.(f) / f)2 + (s.d.(a) / a)2} = (f/a) * sqrt{ 0 + (s.d.(a)/a)2} = f/a * (s.d.(a) / a).

3. s.d. of mean (fluorescence / absorbance) = the sum of all n values calculated in step 2 (with error propagated by addition) divided by n (s.d would then become s.d. of sum divided by n because n has no error).

This seems like the correct way to go about it, but statistics are not my forte, so I was hoping someone could take a look and catch my mistakes, if present.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your x-intercept is the same for all measurements, right? Then it is a 100% correlated error source for all measurements.
Adding its contribution linearly for the final average should work, as its effect is always in the same direction.

1. What is "Standard Deviation with Paired Values"?

In statistics, standard deviation with paired values refers to the measure of how spread out a set of paired data points are from their mean value. It is commonly used to compare two sets of paired data, such as before and after measurements, or control and experimental groups.

2. How is "Standard Deviation with Paired Values" calculated?

To calculate the standard deviation with paired values, first find the difference between each pair of data points. Then, square each difference and find the mean of all the squared differences. Finally, take the square root of the mean to get the standard deviation.

3. What does a high standard deviation with paired values indicate?

A high standard deviation with paired values indicates that the paired data points are more spread out from their mean value, meaning there is a larger variation or difference between the two sets of data. This could suggest a larger degree of change or inconsistency in the measurements being compared.

4. How is "Standard Deviation with Paired Values" useful in data analysis?

Standard deviation with paired values is useful in data analysis as it provides a measure of the variability or dispersion of a set of paired data points. This can help researchers understand the relationship between two variables and determine the significance of any changes or differences observed.

5. Can "Standard Deviation with Paired Values" be negative?

No, standard deviation with paired values cannot be negative. Since the standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of squared differences, it will always result in a positive value. A value of zero indicates that there is no variation between the paired data points, while a larger value indicates a greater degree of variability.