Standardization in Industrial Design: The Benefits and Challenges

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: The ISO has standardized the contact switch on microwaves in order to ensure that they are not accidentally turned off.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
And the ISO (if they are the ones who allowed this to happen).

Why? Well, so far this family is on 'sweet-executive-leather-chair' #3

Shown here...

http://www.officedepot.com/pictures/SK/MD/800695_sk_md.jpg

Now, we have 2 broken and 1 new chair. As I assemble this new one, I just realized that almost everything about these chairs (even though they are from different companies) are standardized. The holes (except for arm chairs) are all in the same position, the screws are the same as well. Hell the packaging for the screws were the same! So what I'm going to do is use the handy re-order form and buy new parts and fix the old 2 chairs! Man I am a genius. Wheres my PHD in chair-assembly. That's Dr. Pengwuino to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I am sitting on that chair right now!

Now, we have 2 broken and 1 new chair. As I assemble this new one, I just realized that almost everything about these chairs (even though they are from different companies) are standardized. The holes (except for arm chairs) are all in the same position, the screws are the same as well. Hell the packaging for the screws were the same! So what I'm going to do is use the handy re-order form and buy new parts and fix the old 2 chairs! Man I am a genius. Wheres my PHD in chair-assembly. That's Dr. Pengwuino to you!

You would know this if you didn't waste time on physics and studied mechanical engineering. Are you sure were not related?

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, I am sitting on that chair right now!

Well that one obviously isn't mine. Office depot makes a special Penguin line for those of other species.

Oh damn you industrialization! These jerks made one of these holes too small for one of the screws to go in! ROAR!

Last edited:
Wow I love industrialization
I love it because it let's me build marines, and if I have oil, tanks too!

Hurkyl said:
I love it because it let's me build marines, and if I have oil, tanks too!

lol :smile:

Pengwuino said:
Why? Well, so far this family is on 'sweet-executive-leather-chair' #3
Shown here...
http://www.officedepot.com/pictures/SK/MD/800695_sk_md.jpg
You know, they sell screws in the hardware store too. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, after seeing your bookshelf, I am not sure if I would want to sit in a chair constructed by Dr. Pengwuino :smile:

I've had mine for about 4 years now, still works *shrugs*.
If you have ever tried to put together more than one cheap computer desk (under $600 maybe?) than you would know that everything is standardized on them.
I was wondering, if they standardize it, why did they have to standardize such crap? :(

Pengwuino said:
I just realized that almost everything about these chairs (even though they are from different companies) are standardized. The holes (except for arm chairs) are all in the same position, the screws are the same as well. Hell the packaging for the screws were the same! So what I'm going to do is use the handy re-order form and buy new parts and fix the old 2 chairs! Man I am a genius. Wheres my PHD in chair-assembly. That's Dr. Pengwuino to you!

Here's a story of standardization taken to a another level.

A while back I had a microwave oven that quit working. I opened it up to check the fuse, and found instead that it was the contact switch that shut the power off when you opened the door that had gone bad.

Upon closer inspection, I found that the switch could be popped open and the contacts could be re-arranged so that it operated as either an "normally open" or "normally closed" switch. This one was arranged as normally open. The contacts had become burnt (probably from people opening the door before the oven was done cooking). If I re-arranged the switch to normally closed modem it used the other side of the contact, which was good, I'd have a working switch, but of the wrong type.

As it turned out, there was another switch of the same type in the oven set to normally closed, so I just re-arranged both switches and exchanged their positions.

So because the manufacturer used this "universal" contact switch I got the microwave up and running almost right away.

Now here's the kicker:

They have this huge trash compacter at work that quit this summer. I was walking by while the repairman had its control box open, and quess what I saw? That same universal contact switch that was in my microwave!

Standardization is a double edged sword. It can really save your but, but it can make life miserable sometimes too.

If you like standardization, you'd love designing in aerospace. There are specifications for everything you can possibly imagine.

What is industrialization?

Industrialization is the process of developing industries and manufacturing goods on a large scale.

Why is industrialization important?

Industrialization has played a crucial role in the economic development and growth of countries. It has led to increased productivity, improved standards of living, and technological advancements.

What are the positive effects of industrialization?

Industrialization has led to the creation of jobs, improved infrastructure, increased access to goods and services, and improved living standards for many people.

What are the negative effects of industrialization?

Industrialization can also have negative impacts such as pollution, depletion of natural resources, and income inequality. It can also lead to the displacement of traditional industries and communities.

How does industrialization impact the environment?

Industrialization can have a significant impact on the environment, including air and water pollution, deforestation, and greenhouse gas emissions. However, advancements in technology and regulations have helped to mitigate these effects.