Star Trek (2009) - Opens May 8th

In summary, the new Star Trek movie is set in the future and features an angry Kirk. Some reviews say it's good, others say it's bad. But either way, it's supposedly worth going to see.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From the first scene the Star Trek universe as we knew it has changed forever. Kirk is now an angry wayward young man looking for trouble...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

Double-click to watch the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4vk5OZmn8

Expectations?

It looks like they use my idea of a reentry suit.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how I feel about 2 hours of CGI. There is one trailer where Kirk stole an old corvette.....I'm thinking to myself, why is he driving a corvette in the future? It just came off as a cheap, "look its an american car" ploy to get some audience woo hoos.

Speaking of Kirk, did you know shatner has his own youtube page? I was watching them all last night and he's a piece of work!

hqrlkHfRgGQ&feature=channel[/youtube]

It may be a recipe for disappointment, but I'm really looking forward to it. I grew up watching Star Trek with Kirk...although this won't be the same, it kind of warms my heart to see a throwback to the old days. The action looks pretty good. I just hope that it has a good plot and acting, which is something that I've been repeatedly disappointed on with the majority of big-ticket movies in the last 5 years

junglebeast said:
It may be a recipe for disappointment, but I'm really looking forward to it. I grew up watching Star Trek with Kirk...although this won't be the same, it kind of warms my heart to see a throwback to the old days. The action looks pretty good. I just hope that it has a good plot and acting, which is something that I've been repeatedly disappointed on with the majority of big-ticket movies in the last 5 years

"At the Movies" reviewed it on Saturday, and they both liked it (It was the only movie of the 5 that they reviewed, including the new Wolverine film, that they liked.)

Some of the things that they said:

The actors did a good job of capturing the essence of the characters without trying to mimic the original actors.

The story line was engaging and was character driven.

It had a good balance between paying homage to the original while still being accessible to anyone not familiar with the series.

I've heard that other reviews are also positive.

My friends a star trek nerd and might dressed up for it.

Thus I'm currently looking for someone else to go see it with.

Pengwuino said:

It would also be hilarious to just dress up and go with him! Once when I was in college my buddies and I decided to go out and see a movie, it was a random forgettable movie having to do with war, and we all dressed up like soldiers and pretended like we were huge fans of the movie..definitely funny and worthwhile :biggrin:

junglebeast said:
It would also be hilarious to just dress up and go with him! Once when I was in college my buddies and I decided to go out and see a movie, it was a random forgettable movie having to do with war, and we all dressed up like soldiers and pretended like we were huge fans of the movie..definitely funny and worthwhile :biggrin:

No..

First trailer I thought it looked super hokey. Second time watching trailer I think it may be good. At least the trailer music was good!

I'm looking forward to it.

I saw the first trailer (where there's the guy welding away) and didn't realize it was a trailer for the Star Trek movie until Leonard Nimoy came on to do the "Space: The final frontier..." bit, and the notes from TOS started playing. I thought it was cool.

Cyrus said:
There is one trailer where Kirk stole an old corvette.....I'm thinking to myself, why is he driving a corvette in the future?

That trailor kinda put me off too.

The original Star Trek series came out when I was in 8th-10th grades and made a major impression on me. During the past couple of years, I've been watching the remastered version on syndicated TV (I have to record it because my local station shows it at 5 AM ), bought the remastered DVDs as they came out, and my copy of the Blu-ray version of season 1 arrived yesterday.

But I have to admit I've seen only part of one of the Star Trek movies, the one that shows Scotty (I think) trying to use an early Macintosh computer by picking up the mouse and speaking into it: "Hellooo, computer..." :smile:

Maybe I'll go see this one, although with some trepidation despite the favorable reviews. I've seen trailers on TV, and the modern-style sets and effects come off (to me) as anachonistically "busy" and glitzy compared to the bare-bones, cheesy sets of the original series. The more I watch the remastered series on DVD and Blu-ray, the more impressed I am with how important lighting effects are, in the scene designs.

jtbell said:
But I have to admit I've seen only part of one of the Star Trek movies, the one that shows Scotty (I think) trying to use an early Macintosh computer by picking up the mouse and speaking into it: "Hellooo, computer..." :smile:

Yep! IIRC, that was in The Voyage Home

Another one of my favorites scenes:

Chekov: [to a street cop] Excuse me, sir! Can you direct us to the naval base in Alameda? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels.
[he pauses, looks at Uhura, and tries again]
Chekov: NUCLEAR WESSELS...

Back then, the idea of a person with a thick Russian accent asking for the location of the nuclear wessels was classic.

I've only gone to the movies twice in the last 10 years. I plan on being in the theater this weekend.

Star Trek XII - So Very Tired might be in order here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Yep! IIRC, that was in The Voyage Home

Another one of my favorites scenes:

Chekov: [to a street cop] Excuse me, sir! Can you direct us to the naval base in Alameda? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels.
[he pauses, looks at Uhura, and tries again]
Chekov: NUCLEAR WESSELS...

Back then, the idea of a person with a thick Russian accent asking for the location of the nuclear wessels was classic.

There's a story that goes with that scene. It was shot with "off the street" extras, who were told to just look at them strangely and move on. One gal got carried away with the moment and actually answered them, Walter's and Nichelle's reactions were ad-lib. It worked so well, they decided to keep it, but then they had to chase down the girl to get her to sign a contract or they would have gotten fined by SAG for not paying a person in a "speaking role" scale.

I saw another clip on the star trek website that made me go uhhhhhhhhhh...

There is a bar scene where the girl orders two orange bling blang drinks, a tamalian sling slong (or whatever treky sounding word you want to use, I don't care), and give me a Budweiser select...

Way to sell out there Star Trek. Does the Enterprise have a big "Goodyear" sticker on the side too?

I hate blatant advertising in movies for products that really have no business in a movie.

Captain Kurk, what are you doing? Why I'm just brushing my teeth with my favorite toothpase, Colgate. Would you like to join me?

Cyrus said:
I saw another clip on the star trek website that made me go uhhhhhhhhhh...

There is a bar scene where the girl orders two orange bling blang drinks, a tamalian sling slong (or whatever treky sounding word you want to use, I don't care), and give me a Budweiser select...

Way to sell out there Star Trek. Does the Enterprise have a big "Goodyear" sticker on the side too?

I'm sure Budweiser would prefer it be considered prophetic.

I hate blatant advertising in movies for products that really have no business in a movie.

Captain Kurk, what are you doing? Why I'm just brushing my teeth with my favorite toothpase, Colgate. Would you like to join me?

"Kirk", you dweeb!

I don't mind as long as it isn't excessive. I do remember a few movies that seemed like The Truman show.

jtbell said:
The original Star Trek series came out when I was in 8th-10th grades and made a major impression on me. During the past couple of years, I've been watching the remastered version on syndicated TV (I have to record it because my local station shows it at 5 AM ), bought the remastered DVDs as they came out, and my copy of the Blu-ray version of season 1 arrived yesterday.

I've been watching the remastered versions locally too (at a better time, Sunday afternoons). This last week they showed "The Cage", the original pilot (not "The Menagerie" into which they spliced parts of "The Cage").
One thing I noticed was that for the exterior shots of the Enterprise, the CGI model matched the model used in the original episode. A nice touch, I thought, since it would have been easier to just use the same CGI model for all the remastered episodes.

Unfortunately, the current broadcast version of "The Cage" is only about 2/3 the length of the full remastered version on DVD: about 43 minutes (after subtracting commercials) versus 63 minutes! It omits the Rigel VII castle fight scene completely, along with many bits and pieces elsewhere.

The DVD also has an "extended version" which seems to be an earlier (non-remastered) version that includes commentary by Gene Roddenberry and has some scenes in black and white instead of color. It runs to about 70 minutes, probably mainly because of Roddenberry. Adding a few minutes of Roddenberry's commentary to the full remastered version, and a standard complement of commercials, would bring it to just the right length for a 90-minute time slot.

Picard is the one and only Captain, TNG! <Runs and hides>

http://gregfriis.net/picard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think this movie would make a good first date?

What am I talking about?! Of course it is!

jtbell said:
Unfortunately, the current broadcast version of "The Cage" is only about 2/3 the length of the full remastered version on DVD: about 43 minutes (after subtracting commercials) versus 63 minutes! It omits the Rigel VII castle fight scene completely, along with many bits and pieces elsewhere.
Yeah, I've mtoiced that they've cut up a all the episodes they broadcast
The DVD also has an "extended version" which seems to be an earlier (non-remastered) version that includes commentary by Gene Roddenberry and has some scenes in black and white instead of color. It runs to about 70 minutes, probably mainly because of Roddenberry. Adding a few minutes of Roddenberry's commentary to the full remastered version, and a standard complement of commercials, would bring it to just the right length for a 90-minute time slot.

When they made "The Menagerie", they only used parts of "The Cage". Without thinking much of it, they tossed the bits they didn't use. For years, fans lamented the fact that they would never see the original pilot in its entirety. Then, one day in the 80's, while clearing out an closet in one of the Old Desilu buildings, they found a box with some film canisters in it. The cansisters held the Black and White master for "The Cage". They spliced the B&W sections into the parts used in "The Menagerie", and the "missing" pilot was restored.

Real Trekkies are quite disappointed that the film is enjoyable.
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film

Last edited:
Anyone see the movie? It came out today.

I'm probably going to see it on Saturday, but then again, it looks like the weather's going to be great...

- Warren

Cyrus said:

Ahem... It's still yesterday over here...

OmCheeto said:
Ahem... It's still yesterday over here...

Canada doesn't count.

Pengwuino said:

I've come up with a solution: Go dressed as a tribble. That way no one will know that it's you.

A great review from the Salt Lake Tribune

Kicking the rust off the good ship Enterprise and a 42-year-old franchise, the 2009 model "Star Trek" is fast, sleek and tightly constructed -- a well-made vessel that, for all its upgrades, remains true to the space-faring characters we know and love.

"Star Trek," which captures the epic adventures of the heroic James T. Kirk, cerebral Mr. Spock and the rest, is often called a "classic" of science fiction. But to be a classic, in the Shakespearean sense, the work has to have life beyond the work's original actors. Thankfully, this cast meets that challenge...
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12308676

Cyrus said:
I saw it Thursday evening. I thought it was enjoyable to watch, though notably faster-paced and action-packed compared to other Star Trek films.

I am disappointed that I did not see anyone dress up (I did not dress up either).

Cyrus said:

I loved it! A little 'convenient' in a few places, and Spock gets a little overly emotional here and there, but overall, a fast-paced, exciting ride with little touching moments (for fans of The Original Series) interspersed everywhere. The key thing to remember is that everything's changed in the Trekiverse, literally right from the first moments of the movie (a reboot without a reboot).

My take on the cast:

Aside from the above-mentioned moments, Zachary Quinto was nearly dead-on as Spock. The resemblance was there, but so was nearly everything else.

Karl Urban as McCoy was also great, and closest to the Real McCoy. (Yes, I went there--can't have gems all the time!)

Chris Pine as Kirk was decent, not quite the same, but then again, like one of the trailers said, that was a whole other life. Zoe Saldana as Uhura reminded me of the Uhura of the other movies--brilliant, and yet sassy. Unfortunately, she disappears around the middle. John Cho as Sulu was a little over-acted, but not bad.

Anton Yelchin as Chekhov was way over the top. Apparently, he's also a Scotty / Spock level intellect (according to the website, he graduated first in his astrophysics class). Actually, according to the website, everybody graduated first at Starfleet academy / med school in their respective fields and somehow ended up together. Simon Pegg as Scotty brought no subtlety, and a sort of inappropriate-moment comic relief. But that might be what you get when you cast Simon Pegg (great for slapstick... Star Trek? Dunno)

Eric Bana was a decent villain, if a little odd. Sure, he's an anguished, tortured, angry little man but why does he look like a space pirate (and spoiler: he's not) He struck me as way too human (and atypical Romulan) in a few scenes. Maybe there'll be more backstory in the Alan Dean Foster novelization.

In any case, I rather enjoyed it, and will probably see it again before it goes to DVD. I'd give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

DISCLAIMER: Not an actual movie critic, and probably would've been delighted to pay full price even if it had been crap. Thankfully, it wasn't! :-D

EDIT:
How could I forget Leonard Nimoy?! He's Spock; full of all the subtlety, with all those little nuances. And maybe it's the old age, or the fact that he's already lived his life once and gets to see it unfold one again, but he seemed on the verge of breaking out in a smile every now and then. He also doesn't seem to have the sense of urgency that you might expect in someone who's violated the temporal prime directive to save the Federation--but at the same time, it's like one of those 4th wall moments: Leonard Nimoy as a bystander, watching, and having blazed the path, is now passing on the torch. He did this once before for Picard and the Star Trek franchise, but this time, it's for himself, for the character that he brought to life, sort of ran away from, and ultimately embraced.

Or maybe that's just MATLABdude apologetics.

Last edited: