Start learning more about fractals

• Thread starter dm4b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractals
In summary, some classic and decent texts in the field of fractals include Mandelbrot's "The Fractal Geometry of Nature", which is more of a coffee table book than a textbook, and "Fractals: A Very Short Introduction" by Kenneth Falconer, which is more suitable for those with a strong understanding of metric spaces. Another option is "Fractal Geometry: Mathematical Foundations and Applications" by Kenneth Falconer, but it may be more challenging for those without a background in topology and measure theory. Additional resources can also be found on websites such as Wikipedia and classes.yale.edu/fractals.
dm4b
Hi,

I'm curious to start learning more about fractals and am wondering what some of the classic/decent texts in the field are.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://classes.yale.edu/fractals/

Depending on what you already know, this may be too simple. Mandelbrot's book is obviously classic, but I have not actually read it; I don't know if it is any use for learning. Sorry, I don't have much info, but this page gives a good first look.

DrewD said:
Mandelbrot's book is obviously classic, but I have not actually read it; I don't know if it is any use for learning.

I've read parts of Madelbrot's "The Fractal Geometry Of Nature". Many technical passages would only make sense to people famiiar with the mathematics of Brownian motion. It isn't organized as a textbook. There are more pretty pictures than technical text. It's more a "coffee table" book.

A nice book is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486488705/?tag=pfamazon01-20 The book introduces most of its concepts, so it should be readable for a high-school student. However, I think that this high school student will struggle very hard. I recommend that you're familiar with metric spaces. If you are, then this book will pose no problems.

A more difficult book is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387747486/?tag=pfamazon01-20 It covers a lot of nice things. However, it is much more difficult. I attempted to read this book as a freshman student and I got really frustrated. It doesn't help that every proof ends with a smiley that appears to be laughing at your ignorance.
Once you're familiar with topology and measure theory, then this book should be readable and the book will be excellent.

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric patterns that repeat themselves at different scales, creating self-similar shapes. They are often found in nature, such as in snowflakes, trees, and coastlines.

2. Why should I learn about fractals?

Learning about fractals can help you understand the patterns and structures found in nature and the world around us. It can also have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, data compression, and financial analysis.

3. How are fractals created?

Fractals can be created through a mathematical process called iteration, where a simple equation is repeated multiple times to generate complex patterns. They can also be created through computer software using algorithms.

4. What are some common types of fractals?

There are many types of fractals, but some common examples include the Mandelbrot set, the Koch snowflake, and the Sierpinski triangle. Each type has unique properties and can be created using different equations or algorithms.

5. Can anyone learn about fractals?

Yes, anyone can learn about fractals! While having a background in math or computer science can be helpful, there are many beginner-friendly resources available, such as books, videos, and online tutorials.