Fractals/Dendrites and the Dissolving of Phenoxyethanol in Water

In summary, the video shows that phenoxyethanol can dissolve into water, and that the fractal/dendrite-like patterns are caused by the water becoming locally saturated and surface tension decreasing.
nik282000
TL;DR Summary
Phenoxyethanol (1-Hydroxy-2-phenoxyethane) forms fractal patterns as it dissolves in water. I don't know why, do you?
I shot some high speed footage of phenoxyethanol dissolving into water and observed some fractal/dendrite like patters at the edge of thin droplets that float on the surface of the water.

I suspect that the water under the droplet becomes saturated very quickly as the phenoxyethanol is not extremely soluble and that the surface tension of the water around the droplet is lowered by the phenoxyethanol. This would mean that the only way more phenoxyethanol could dissolve is if unsaturated water is drawn up from below the droplet towards the edges and that the length of that edge determines the rate of dissolving. Forming a fractal/dendrite pattern would maximize the edge length and rate at which the phenoxyethanol dissolves but I'm not sure why this would happen instead of a uniform smooth edge or any other profile.

In the video you can see that the fractal/dendrite edge is reduced or disappears completely when two droplets approach which supports the idea that the water becomes locally saturated and that surface tension changes as the phenoxyethanol dissolves. However, I am not a scientist and would love to know if this is an already known/named phenomena.

1648398774098.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Likes romsofia and Klystron
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for showing this interesting effect. Even if the images only resemble fractals / dendrites, they capture a certain liveliness reminiscent of waterborne life forms such as paramecium.

1648400688341.png

Klystron said:
Thanks for showing this interesting effect. Even if the images only resemble fractals / dendrites, they capture a certain liveliness reminiscent of waterborne life forms such as paramecium.

View attachment 298987
Yes! The little arms look very much like they are covered in cilia! When I set the camera up again I'll try to see how small they really get. The largest wiggle around 50-100hz and the smaller ones seem to go even faster, I might have to crank my camera up to the max to see the smallest features.

Likes Klystron and BillTre

1. What are fractals and dendrites?

Fractals are geometric patterns that repeat at different scales, while dendrites are branching structures that form in certain materials. In the context of this topic, fractals and dendrites refer to the patterns and structures that form when phenoxyethanol is dissolved in water.

2. How does phenoxyethanol dissolve in water?

Phenoxyethanol is a polar molecule, meaning it has both positive and negative charges on different ends. Water is also a polar molecule, so the positive and negative ends of phenoxyethanol are attracted to the opposite charges in water. This allows the phenoxyethanol molecules to mix and dissolve in water.

3. What factors affect the formation of fractals and dendrites in phenoxyethanol and water?

The formation of fractals and dendrites in this system is affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of phenoxyethanol, and the presence of other substances. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of phenoxyethanol tend to promote the formation of larger and more complex fractal patterns.

4. How do fractals and dendrites impact the dissolving process of phenoxyethanol in water?

The formation of fractals and dendrites can slow down the dissolving process of phenoxyethanol in water. This is because the branching structures create more surface area for the phenoxyethanol molecules to interact with the water molecules, making it more difficult for them to fully dissolve and mix with the water.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying fractals and dendrites in the dissolving of phenoxyethanol in water?

Yes, understanding the formation and behavior of fractals and dendrites in this system can have practical applications in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food processing. It can also help in the development of more efficient and effective methods for dissolving substances in water.