State Vectors as elements of Hilbert Space

In summary, Ballentine say (paraphrasing) that the state of a system is represented as a vector in a Hilbert space, with the cosines of the distance between the state vector and an arbitrary basis as coefficients. The expansion of the state vector in terms of cosines can be interpreted as an expansion of the state vector in terms of the functions that correspond to the cosines. The vector in the Hilbert space is the sum of the expansions of the state vector in terms of the cosines. If another basis is introduced, the expansion of the state vector in terms of the functions that correspond to the cosines can be rewritten as the expansion of the state vector in terms of the coefficients of the new basis.
devd
The state, ##| S\rangle##, say, of a system is represented as a vector in a Hilbert space.

##\psi (x, t)## is the representation of the state vector in the position eigenbasis; ##\psi (p, t)## in the momentum eigenbasis et cetera. That is, ##\psi (x, t) = \langle x|S\rangle##; ##\psi (p, t) = \langle p|S\rangle##.

Now, suppose i expand ##\psi(x,t)## as ##\psi(x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})##.
Similarly for ##\psi (p, t)##.
[Assuming Dirichlet conditions hold, ##a\leq x\leq b## etc]

I can now interpret this as: ##\psi(x, t)## is an element of a Hilbert space, with the ##\cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})##'s as basis. [The ##\cos(\frac{n\pi p} {L'})##'s as basis for ##\psi (p, t)##].

How do i reconcile these two interpretations? ##\psi (x, t)## as the coefficient in the expansion of ##| S\rangle## in the ##|x\rangle## eigenbasis as opposed to an element of a Hilbert space expanded in the ##\cos(\frac{n\pi x} {L})## basis with coefficients ##a_n##.

Should i look upon it as an expansion of an expansion (whatever that means)? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an expansion of an expansion.
The actual vector in the Hilbert space is $$|S\rangle = \int dx |x\rangle \langle x|S\rangle = \int dx \psi(x) |x\rangle.$$ (I leave out the time for simplicity.)
Now if I have another basis ##|n\rangle##, I can insert the identity again in that expression.
$$ \int dx \sum_n \langle x|n\rangle \langle n|S\rangle |x\rangle$$
In your case, ##\langle x|n\rangle = \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{L})## and
$$\langle n|S \rangle = \int dx \langle n|x\rangle \langle x|S \rangle = \int dx \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{L}) \psi (x) = a_n.$$

From Ballentine section 4.1
It is a matter of taste whether one says that the set of functions ##[\{\psi(x)\}]## forms a representation of the vector space, or that the vector space consists of the functions ##\{\psi(x)\}##.
This is like in relativity where people sometimes call a set of coefficients themselves a vector (or a tensor). But pedantically speaking, it is ##|S\rangle## that is an element of the Hilbert space.

Likes devd
Thanks for the reply. That helped me get a handle on the problem.
One question, what 'set' of functions are we talking about? ##\{\psi(x)\}## is one function, defined by the coefficients at each value of the variable x, right?

You're welcome. I think by ##\{\psi(x)\}## (as opposed to just ##\psi(x)##) Ballentine means a set of wavefunctions, each coming from a different ##|\psi\rangle##. Does that make sense?

EDIT: I looked at Ballentine again and realize he doesn't use the notation for set, but he does say that ##\psi(x)## is a function and "the vector space consists of the functions ##\psi(x)##." So I guess I put in the set notation automatically without thinking because that's how I interpret it.

Last edited:
Yes, i think that is what he means. But, what is that set of functions exactly? What are its elements?

##\psi (x)## is simple the set of ordered pairs {##(x_1, \psi (x_1)), (x_2, \psi (x_2)), ... ##} [x is a continuous variable, so i can't really write it like this. But, just to get the point across.]

So, the thing I'm not being able to comprehend is the nature of the set {##\psi (x)##} as there's just 1 function, ##\psi (x)##!

To make the notation clear, there should be an additional label like this: ##\{\psi_n(x)\}##.

But, what would that indicate? What is ##\{\psi_1(x)\}## for example? The coefficient of the ##|x_1\rangle## in the expansion of ##|S\rangle##? But, that is just a number!

By ##\{\psi_n(x)\}##, I mean ##\{\psi_n(x) = \langle x|\psi_n\rangle|n=1,2,\dots,N\}## or something like that, with ##|\psi_1\rangle, |\psi_2\rangle,\dots## (Edit: or ##|S_1\rangle, |S_2\rangle,\dots##) being vectors in the Hilbert space (and each ##\psi_n(x)## is a function with different values at different ##x##, as you understand).

Last edited:
I think i'll have to mull it over a bit more. Will post when i have a clearer picture of this. Thanks for patiently answering my questions! :)

Related to State Vectors as elements of Hilbert Space

1. What is a state vector in the context of Hilbert Space?

A state vector in Hilbert Space is a mathematical representation of a quantum state, which is a set of properties that describe the physical state of a system. It is typically denoted by the symbol |ψ⟩ and contains information about the position, momentum, and other observable properties of a quantum system.

2. What is the significance of state vectors in quantum mechanics?

State vectors play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent the fundamental building blocks of quantum states. They allow us to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems and measure their observable properties. In addition, state vectors can be used to perform operations such as superposition and entanglement, which are essential for quantum computing and communication.

3. How are state vectors related to Hilbert Space?

Hilbert Space is a mathematical framework that provides a way to describe the properties and behavior of quantum systems. State vectors are elements of Hilbert Space, meaning they exist within this mathematical framework and can be manipulated using the rules and principles of Hilbert Space. This allows us to make precise and accurate predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can state vectors be visualized in physical space?

No, state vectors cannot be visualized in physical space as they are abstract mathematical objects. They represent the quantum state of a system, which is not directly observable in the classical sense. However, the mathematical operations and transformations performed on state vectors can be visualized in physical space, providing a way to understand and interpret their behavior.

5. How are state vectors used in quantum information processing?

In quantum information processing, state vectors are used to represent quantum bits (qubits) which are the basic units of information in quantum computing and communication. By manipulating state vectors, we can perform operations on qubits and use them to store and process information. State vectors also play a crucial role in quantum algorithms and protocols, allowing us to solve certain problems exponentially faster than classical computers.