Static Electricity corrupting electrical equipment

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker needing help with installing new networked alarm panels in a building. They are experiencing issues with components failing and receiving static shocks when touching metal in a specific room. They have ruled out bad components and are now looking for an environmental reason. Suggestions are made to check the ground connections and the possibility of ground noise in the installation. It is also mentioned to test the electrical outlets and consider using static-proof carpet in the equipment room.
p.daly
I need help. I am installing new networked alarm panels throughout a building. There is a room where one panel is and that panel is continually having components fail. While in this room it is also very common for me to receive a static shock when coming in contact with any metal. I realize that the dry winter adds to this but it has gotten so bad that the shock will travel through a metal table, through my computer, travel through my 485 connection cable and shut down my panel's CPU. We have quickly ruled out bad components and now are trying to come up with an environmental reason. Can anyone offer some help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Might check continuity on ground connections.

p.daly said:
I need help. I am installing new networked alarm panels throughout a building. There is a room where one panel is and that panel is continually having components fail. While in this room it is also very common for me to receive a static shock when coming in contact with any metal. I realize that the dry winter adds to this but it has gotten so bad that the shock will travel through a metal table, through my computer, travel through my 485 connection cable and shut down my panel's CPU. We have quickly ruled out bad components and now are trying to come up with an environmental reason. Can anyone offer some help?

+1 on Bystander's ground check suggestion. Remember that RS-485 requires a common ground (without much noise) for all devices connected to the network, so having good ground continuity is important. Are there any large sources of ground noise in this installation (like elevator motors, or other large motors)?

What is the floor like in this room where you keep getting shocks? Is it carpet or tile or other? Is it the same as the other rooms?

Have you tested the electrical outlets with a simple electrical tester to be sure that power is wired correctly in all the rooms?

http://www.electricalbasics.com/resize/Shared/images/electrical-testers/receptacle-tester-3-wire-EBTT-17-RT-CA-med.jpg?
receptacle-tester-3-wire-EBTT-17-RT-CA-med.jpg

That little outlet checker Berkeman shows is available at Walmart around six bucks - every homeowner should have one.

Your architect should have put static-proof carpet in an electrical equipment room, i would think. It has a few carbon fibers mixed into provide minimal conductivity. Worth an inquiry.

Related to Static Electricity corrupting electrical equipment

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is an imbalance of electric charges within or on the surface of a material. It occurs when there is an excess of either positive or negative charges in an object.

2. How does static electricity corrupt electrical equipment?

Static electricity can cause damage to electrical equipment by creating a discharge of electricity that is much higher than the equipment is designed to handle. This can result in short circuits, component failures, and even fires.

3. What are the common sources of static electricity?

Static electricity can be generated by friction between two different materials, such as rubbing a balloon on a shirt, or by separation of materials, such as peeling tape off a roll. It can also be caused by dry air, moving air, or contact with certain surfaces.

4. How can static electricity be prevented from damaging electrical equipment?

There are several ways to prevent static electricity from damaging electrical equipment. These include using anti-static materials, grounding equipment, controlling humidity levels, and using ionizers to neutralize charges. It is also important to handle equipment and materials carefully to avoid generating static electricity.

5. Can static electricity be dangerous to humans?

Yes, static electricity can be dangerous to humans. While small shocks are usually harmless, larger discharges can cause burns or even start fires. People working with sensitive electrical equipment should take precautions to minimize the risk of static electricity discharge.