Static Equilibrium don't understand something

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with understanding the conversion of an equation regarding static equilibrium. The person asking the question is confused about how the equation 0.4Na - mg = 0 becomes Na = 2.5mg. They are also unsure about the relevance of the pipe thickness and vertical distance between points A and B in the equation. The other person suggests looking at the ratio of 1/0.4 or multiplying 2.5 and 0.4 to find the solution.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Static Equilibrium...don't understand something

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4664/helpo.jpg

Look at the equation at "sum of all forces on y axis" and please tell me: How the heck did 0.4Na -mg = 0 turn into Na = 2.5m g?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dory said:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4664/helpo.jpg

Look at the equation at "sum of all forces on y axis" and please tell me: How the heck did 0.4Na -mg = 0 turn into Na = 2.5m g?

Sorry I can't do math, but I think you will find the answer if you look at the pipe thickness (100mm) and the vertical distance between A and B (200mm).

Last edited by a moderator:

What do these distances have to do though with the sum of all forces on the y axis? Distances are only used in moments equations.

Dory said:
Hint: 1/0.4 = ?
Or: 2.5 X 0.4 = ?

Oh, that's right, how could I forget that always in life we're followed by an invisible multiple of one...heh, thanks, I'll see how solvable it gets now :)

Related to Static Equilibrium don't understand something

1. What is static equilibrium and how does it differ from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and its net force and net torque are both equal to zero. This means that the object is not moving and it is not rotating. On the other hand, dynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is moving at a constant velocity and its net force and net torque are both equal to zero. The main difference between the two is that in static equilibrium, the object is at rest, while in dynamic equilibrium, the object is in motion.

2. How is the concept of torque related to static equilibrium?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, and it is directly related to static equilibrium. In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the net torque acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must balance each other out, resulting in no overall rotational force on the object.

3. What factors can affect an object's static equilibrium?

There are several factors that can affect an object's static equilibrium, including its mass, shape, and center of gravity. Changing the position of any of these factors can cause the object to no longer be in static equilibrium, and it may begin to move or rotate.

4. How can we calculate the net torque acting on an object in static equilibrium?

In order to calculate the net torque acting on an object in static equilibrium, we need to consider the individual torques acting on the object. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force acting on the object, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. We can calculate the clockwise and counterclockwise torques and then add them together to determine the net torque.

5. Is it possible for an object to be in both static and dynamic equilibrium at the same time?

No, it is not possible for an object to be in both static and dynamic equilibrium at the same time. An object can only be in one state of equilibrium at a time. If an object is in motion, it cannot be at rest, and therefore it cannot be in static equilibrium. Similarly, if an object is at rest, it cannot be in motion, and therefore it cannot be in dynamic equilibrium.