Static Equivalent force for cyclic load (fatigue related)

In summary, to solve for the equivalent static force in this problem, you can use the Goodman diagram and the equations for alternating and mean stress. By plotting the alternating and mean stress on the diagram, you can find the intersection point, which will give you the equivalent static force. This can then be used to calculate the dimensions of the bolt.
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

I have a suspension mount (square tube with unknown thickness) with a bolt going through it that undergoes an 800 lb load laterally into the bracket in an on/off fashion (NOT fully reversed) at a rate of 50 Hz. Ultimately we are trying to calculate the dimensions of the bolt and bracket given minimum and maximum safety factors. The cycle life till failure is 5x105 cycles. I want to know how to solve for the equivalent static force.

Also relevant:
Ultimate strength (Su) ~~ 125 ksi
Cg = 1.0, Cs = 0.74, Cr = 0.814, Ct = 1.0, CL = 1.0
N = 5x105

Homework Equations

Stress = Load / Area
Sf (endurance limit at 103 cycles) = 0.9*Su
SN' (RR Moore endurance limit) = 0.5*Su
SN (endurance limit) = SN' * CL * Cg * Cs * Ct * Cr
Basquin's Equation: Salternating = A*Nm where m = -log(Sf/SN) / 3 and A=SN / 106m
Pmean = (Pmax + Pmin) / 2, Pvarying = (Pmax - Pmin) / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Pmax = 800 lb, and Pmin = 0, so Pmean = 400lb and Pvarying = 400lb. Also, solving for the endurance limit (SN), given the environment factors, I got 37647.5 psi. The Basquin's Equations gave me the applied alternating stress for finite life of 42,018.5 psi. From here I want to solve for the equivalent load so I can then solve for the dimensions of my bolt by doing Salternating = Pequivalent / [ 2 * (pi/4) diameter2]. I do not know how to find the equivalent load. One suggestion was

Pequivalent = Pmean + Pvarying*(ultimate stress / endurance stress)

but I have no idea how they even got that. Any insight would be helpful!

Attachments

• mountbracket.PNG
    mountbracket.PNG
    9.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. Solving for the equivalent static force can be done by using the Goodman diagram, which takes into account both the alternating and mean stresses. The equation you mentioned, Pequivalent = Pmean + Pvarying*(ultimate stress / endurance stress), is derived from the Goodman diagram.

To solve for the equivalent static force, you can use the following steps:

1. Calculate the alternating stress (Sa) using Basquin's equation: Sa = A*Nm, where m = -log(Sf/SN) / 3 and A = SN / 106m. In this case, Sa = 42,018.5 psi.

2. Calculate the mean stress (Sm) using the equation Sm = Pmean / (pi/4 * diameter^2). In this case, Sm = 400 lb / (pi/4 * diameter^2).

3. Plot the alternating stress (Sa) and mean stress (Sm) on the Goodman diagram. The intersection of these two points will give you the equivalent static force (Pequivalent).

4. Once you have Pequivalent, you can use it to calculate the dimensions of your bolt using the equation Salternating = Pequivalent / [ 2 * (pi/4) diameter^2].

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is static equivalent force for cyclic load?

The static equivalent force for cyclic load is a method used to simplify complex cyclic loading conditions by replacing them with a single static load that produces the same effect on a structure.

2. How is static equivalent force for cyclic load calculated?

The calculation of static equivalent force for cyclic load involves first determining the maximum stress amplitude caused by the cyclic loading. This stress amplitude is then multiplied by a factor, known as the Goodman factor, which takes into account the material's fatigue strength. The resulting value is the static equivalent force.

3. What is the purpose of using static equivalent force for cyclic load?

The purpose of using static equivalent force for cyclic load is to simplify the analysis of structures under cyclic loading conditions. It allows engineers to use well-established methods for analyzing static loads, rather than having to use more complex and time-consuming methods for analyzing cyclic loads.

4. Are there any limitations to using static equivalent force for cyclic load?

Yes, there are limitations to using static equivalent force for cyclic load. It is most accurate for structures that experience a relatively small number of cycles and for materials with a well-defined fatigue limit. Additionally, it may not accurately account for stress concentrations and other factors that can affect fatigue life.

5. Can static equivalent force for cyclic load be used for all types of cyclic loading?

No, static equivalent force for cyclic load is typically only used for uniaxial loading conditions. It may not accurately represent the effects of multiaxial or non-proportional loading, which can significantly impact the fatigue life of a structure.