Static Friction -- A ladder leaning against a wall starts to slip

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ladder on a rough surface and a person climbing on it, and the goal of finding the coefficient of static friction at the floor. The participants discuss the equations and variables involved in solving the problem, and point out errors and missing terms in the calculations. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the participants reflecting on the implications of the system being on the verge of slipping and not being in equilibrium.
9vswt

Homework Statement

A ladder,10 m long and having a mass of 25 kg, rests on a rough horizontal floor and is supported by a rough vertical wall. The ladder is inclined at 60 degrees as shown and starts to slip when a person having a mass of 75 kg has climbed halfway up it. The coefficient of static friction at the wall is 0.2. Assume the weight of the ladder to be concentrated at its midpoint. Calculate the coefficient of static friction at the floor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been stuck at this question for 3 days and I am still unable to find the coefficient of static friction at the floor. I have drawn the free body diagram and tried to solve it, getting a static friction of 0.3. Please tell me what is wrong with my workings, I don't want to ponder over such this question any longer.(sorry for my terrible handwriting)
20141105_225852.jpg
20141105_225841.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain your 4th line.

Notice that the ladders just started to slip, so: Is it ok to say that the net force on the Y axis equals zero?

Also think about this: Isn't it necessary to add a rotation equation to solve this problem?

grzz said:
Please explain your 4th line.
I was trying to use the principle of moments, taking the ground contact as the point of reference

tonyxon22 said:
Notice that the ladders just started to slip, so: Is it ok to say that the net force on the Y axis equals zero?

Also think about this: Isn't it necessary to add a rotation equation to solve this problem?
Uhm...so I can only equate Y forces as 0 when I only take the weight of the ladder into account ? So do I equate X when I take both the ladder and the person's weight into account ? Also, what do you mean by rotational equation ? Is it the principle of moments ? If it is, Then I have used it in my fourth line.

Your handwriting is essentially unreadable. Please type out your equations, and define your variables. You should have a force balance in the x direction, a force balance in the y direction, and a moment balance around some convenient center of rotation.

Chet

9vswt said:
Uhm...so I can only equate Y forces as 0 when I only take the weight of the ladder into account ? So do I equate X when I take both the ladder and the person's weight into account ? Also, what do you mean by rotational equation ? Is it the principle of moments ? If it is, Then I have used it in my fourth line.

Sorry, maybe my comment just confused you. What I wanted to say is that you can only make an equation equal to ZERO, being the sum of forces in X or in Y, or the sum of moments around a point, if there is no acceleration. However, in the statement it is mentioned that the system just started to slip. So it kind of looks like there is some acceleration going on here.
My question: is it OK in this case to equal all the equations to ZERO? Why?

Once you understand this, with these three equations (Sum of FX, Sum of FY and Sum of Moments around one point) you can solve the problem.

Likes 9vswt
Chestermiller said:
Your handwriting is essentially unreadable. Please type out your equations, and define your variables. You should have a force balance in the x direction, a force balance in the y direction, and a moment balance around some convenient center of rotation.

Chet
20141106_180918.jpg

A clearer picture of my free body diagram.

Σy=0,
F(n)y+F(r)y=981 N (weight of the ladder and the person combined)
Σx=0,
F(r)x=f(n)x
Using principle of moments, take the contact between the ladder and the floor as the pivot.
981 N* 5cos(60°)m=F(n)x*10sin(60°)m [10m being the ladder's length]

F(n)x=283.190N
F(n)y=F(n)x*0.2=56.638N
F(r)x=F(n)x=283.190N
F(r)y=981N-F(n)x=924.3619N
coefficient={F(r)x}/{F(r)y}={283.19N}/{924.3619N}=0.30630
so...where have I gone wrong ?

Moment balance misses term for Fny

tonyxon22 said:
Sorry, maybe my comment just confused you. What I wanted to say is that you can only make an equation equal to ZERO, being the sum of forces in X or in Y, or the sum of moments around a point, if there is no acceleration. However, in the statement it is mentioned that the system just started to slip. So it kind of looks like there is some acceleration going on here.
My question: is it OK in this case to equal all the equations to ZERO? Why?

Once you understand this, with these three equations (Sum of FX, Sum of FY and Sum of Moments around one point) you can solve the problem.
Thank you for your help, I've already found the answer

BvU said:
Moment balance misses term for Fny
Thank you so much for pointing that out ! I've managed to get my answer

9vswt said:
Thank you for your help, I've already found the answer

No problem. I didn't help much, I think.

It's still interesting to understand why you can equal the balances to ZERO, though..

Likes 9vswt
The moment balance is incorrect because you left out the moment from the friction force F(n)y.

Chet
tonyxon22 said:
No problem. I didn't help much, I think.

It's still interesting to understand why you can equal the balances to ZERO, though..
They meant to say that the ladder is on the verge of slipping, but static friction has not quite released yet. They weren't very precise about how they worded it.

Chet

Likes 9vswt
Chestermiller said:
They meant to say that the ladder is on the verge of slipping, but static friction has not quite released yet. They weren't very precise about how they worded it.

Yes, that's what I had figured out but as you said, they weren’t very precise on the explanation, and a misunderstanding of this detail changes a lot in the output. I just wanted to make sure the OP understands what that means and to think about what the implications were in the case of the ladder being actually falling, having a system out of equilibrium where the balances are not longer equal to ZERO. Just to add a little extra kick to the problem, that’s all..

Likes 9vswt

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion between them. It occurs when an object is at rest or is moving at a constant velocity.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are sliding against each other. Static friction is greater than kinetic friction.

3. Why does a ladder leaning against a wall start to slip?

A ladder leaning against a wall starts to slip because the force of gravity acting on the ladder causes it to exert a downward force on the ground. This downward force creates a torque that causes the ladder to rotate around its base, resulting in a loss of stability and eventual slipping.

4. How does the angle of the ladder affect the static friction?

The angle of the ladder affects the static friction by changing the normal force between the ladder and the ground. The greater the angle of the ladder, the smaller the normal force and therefore the smaller the static friction. This makes the ladder more likely to slip.

5. Can static friction be increased to prevent the ladder from slipping?

Yes, static friction can be increased by increasing the normal force between the ladder and the ground. This can be achieved by adding weight to the top of the ladder, making the angle of the ladder smaller, or using materials with higher coefficients of friction. Additionally, ensuring that the surfaces are clean and dry can also increase the static friction between the ladder and the ground.