Statics and Structural Analysis Question

In summary, the two problems you are having difficulty with are a continuous beam and a statically indeterminant system. You will need to use the procedure for statically indeterminant systems to get the loads.
track1716
TL;DR Summary
Could Someone help me out with this question? I have no idea where to begin.
I am able to draw shear and bending moment diagrams. We were never taught how to even start with a problem like this.

Attachments

• BEE781A8-6C08-46F8-80BF-0B39F3D52E29.jpeg
    BEE781A8-6C08-46F8-80BF-0B39F3D52E29.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 311
Engineering news on Phys.org
First, are the beams connected with pin joints at B and E? That needs to be understood before proceeding.

After you are clear on the problem to be solved, the technique is to start wherever you can calculate something. Usually, you can calculate at least one unknown force, and the result will allow you to find another unknown force. Keep going until you have all unknown forces. Then you will be ready to start the shear and moment diagrams.

The reaction forces at A and F would be a good place to start. From those, you can find the reaction forces at B and E, followed by ...

Likes Lnewqban
jrmichler said:
First, are the beams connected with pin joints at B and E? That needs to be understood before proceeding.

After you are clear on the problem to be solved, the technique is to start wherever you can calculate something. Usually, you can calculate at least one unknown force, and the result will allow you to find another unknown force. Keep going until you have all unknown forces. Then you will be ready to start the shear and moment diagrams.

The reaction forces at A and F would be a good place to start. From those, you can find the reaction forces at B and E, followed by ...
Thank you! It’s a continuous beam. I think I can solve it now. I ran into 2 other problems i’m having trouble with as well. How would I draw the loading diagrams for these 2 problems? How do I calculate the force pushing up on either end where the column joints are? If that even makes sense...

Attachments

• 0847DFAB-885D-4B70-ABA7-07F1CE9A26FA.jpeg
    0847DFAB-885D-4B70-ABA7-07F1CE9A26FA.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 289
Same procedure - calculate the support forces that are easiest to calculate, then keep at it until all have been calculated. Keep at it until you succeed. Both problems are solvable. Both will take some time.

Another approach is to calculate the loading on each beam, then work outward to the columns.

These two cases are statically indeterminant, so you will need to use the procedure for statically indeterminant systems to get the loads.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the difference between statics and structural analysis?

Statics is the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects, while structural analysis is the study of the behavior and stability of structures under applied loads.

2. Why is statics and structural analysis important?

Statics and structural analysis are important for understanding the behavior of structures, predicting their performance, and ensuring their safety and stability.

3. What are the main types of structural analysis?

The main types of structural analysis include static analysis, dynamic analysis, and finite element analysis.

4. How is statics and structural analysis used in real-world applications?

Statics and structural analysis are used in various industries such as construction, aerospace, and automotive to design and analyze structures and ensure their safety and efficiency.

5. What are some common challenges in statics and structural analysis?

Some common challenges in statics and structural analysis include accurately modeling real-world conditions, dealing with complex geometries, and accounting for material properties and external factors such as wind and earthquakes.