Statics: load supported on a wooden frame

In summary, the homework statement states that if we examine the entire structure, we get a wrong answer for the value of GH due to the fact that the load at point C acts on the system differently depending on where in the frame we examine it. However, if we start with just the BDHC section, we can determine the value of GH correctly.
SoylentBlue

Homework Statement

Given the frame shown, determine the internal loadings at D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This should be a simple problem...but I cannot see where I am making a mistake.
If I approach it by examining the entire structure, I get a wrong answer:

ΣFx: Ax + (cos60)IB = 0
ΣFy: Ay - (sin60)IB – 150 = 0
ΣM about I I: 3.44Ay – (7.44)(150) = 0

The 3.44 comes from determining, by trig, that IA is 3.44; the 150LB load is therefore 7.44 ft away from I

This yields Ay = 324.4
Plug back into sum of forces in y-direction; that yields IB = -201

OK now examine the section BDHC:
ΣFx: -(cos60)(201) + (cos45)GH=0
This yields GH= 142, which is wrong.

However, if I start instead with just the structure BDHC, I get:
sum of moments about B: (2)[(sin45)GH] – (4)(150)=0 then GH=424 which agrees with the book

Where did I make a wrong turn? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.:smile:

[/B]

Attachments

• Prob1-15A.jpg
    Prob1-15A.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 361
  • Prob1-15ABI.jpg
    Prob1-15ABI.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Prob1-15BDHC.jpg
    Prob1-15BDHC.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 290
Physics news on Phys.org
SoylentBlue said:
ΣFx: Ax + (cos60)IB = 0
Which way is the tension IB acting on the system? Have you been consistent with signs?

IB would have to be in tension. So at point I, Ix is to the left, and Iy is negative.

Oh, I see your point. Let's amend the equation:
ΣFx: Ax - (cos60)IB = 0
However, for the Fy equation, which is where we determine the value of Ay, the signs and logic and values are correct, right?
I assume Ay goes up, and AB is in compression. Obviously, the load goes down. And IB is in tension, so Iy goes down.

Small typo I just noticed...this should read:
ΣM about point I: 3.44Ay – (7.44)(150) = 0

Thank you for helping...I am trying to work through this course on my own, so the Internet is my instructor!:smile:

SoylentBlue said:
This yields Ay = 324.4
Plug back into sum of forces in y-direction; that yields IB = -201
Try that step again. I get a positive IB (as it should be).

Now that was an embarrassing error.:oops: OK, I now have the correct answer for IB.

Next, we look at the top of the frame, examining DHC; If we sum the moments from point D, the moment caused by GH balances the moment caused by the load at point C, and we get the correct answer for the value of GH. So far so good.

However, shouldn't we also be able to look at BDHC, and sum all the forces in either the x or y direction? If we look at the y direction, in that case we get an incorrect value of zero for GH.
ΣFy: Ay - (cos30)(IB) + (cos45)(GH) -150=0
Ay is in compression, pushing up; IB is in tension pulling down, GH is pushing up, and of course the 150 load pulls down.
324 - 174+.707GH-150=0
324-324 = .707GH

This has to be an error in logic rather than a math error, right?

Attachments

• prob115BDHC.jpg
    prob115BDHC.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 250
SoylentBlue said:
If we sum the moments from point D, the moment caused by GH balances the moment caused by the load at point C
I assume you meant moments about B.
SoylentBlue said:
Ay - (cos30)(IB) + (cos45)(GH)
You are double counting.
The vertical force in AB is not the same all the way up. The force at A includes a component to balance the vertical load at G from GH. The force in AB at B does not include this. If your Ay is the force at A then you should not add a contribution from GH at H.

Related to Statics: load supported on a wooden frame

1. How do I calculate the load supported by a wooden frame?

To calculate the load supported by a wooden frame, you need to first determine the weight of the frame itself. Then, you can use the formula F = W/L, where F is the maximum load the frame can support, W is the weight of the frame, and L is the span or length of the frame.

2. What factors affect the load capacity of a wooden frame?

There are several factors that can affect the load capacity of a wooden frame, including the type of wood, the size and shape of the frame, the quality of construction, and the type of joints used. Additionally, external factors such as humidity and temperature can also impact the load capacity of the frame.

3. Can a wooden frame support different types of loads?

Yes, a wooden frame can support various types of loads, such as vertical, horizontal, and diagonal loads. However, the load capacity may vary depending on the direction and distribution of the load. It is important to consider the type of load when designing and constructing a wooden frame.

4. How can I ensure the stability of a wooden frame under load?

To ensure the stability of a wooden frame under load, it is crucial to have proper bracing and reinforcement in place. This can include diagonal bracing, cross-bracing, and truss systems, depending on the design and intended use of the frame. Additionally, using high-quality and properly sized lumber can also contribute to the stability of the frame.

5. What is the maximum load a wooden frame can support?

The maximum load a wooden frame can support depends on various factors, as mentioned earlier. It is important to consult a structural engineer or refer to building codes and standards when determining the maximum load capacity of a wooden frame. Generally, a well-designed and constructed wooden frame can support a significant amount of weight, but it is important to not exceed its load capacity to ensure safety and stability.