Statics on an inclined plane

In summary: Yes, you need to find the torque with respect to your origin of axys, haven't you?Yes, you need to find the torque with respect to your origin of axys, haven't you?In summary, the maximum slope angle α for the cylinder to stay at rest is 90 degrees.
fedecolo

Homework Statement

On an incline with slope angle α there lies a cylinder with mass M, its axis being horizontal. A small block with mass m is placed inside it. The coefficient of friction between the block and the cylinder is μ; the incline is nonslippery. What is the maximum slope angle α for the cylinder to stay at rest? The block is much smaller than the radius of the cylinder.

154ufdk.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm quite sure that I must consider the torques of M and m (maybe the origin of my XY plane can be the contact point between the cylinder and the incline). In this case the torque ## T_{M}= R M g sin \alpha ## but how can I write the equation of ## T_{m} ## ?
And is it correct to think that the two torque are opposite so until ## T_{m} > T_{M} ## the cylinder will stay at rest?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fedecolo said:
1 In this case the torque ## T_{M}= R M g sin \alpha ## but how can I write the equation of ## T_{m} ## ?
If a line from the center of the cylinder to the small mass m makes an angle ##\theta## to the vertical, can you express the lever arm for the torque ##T_m## in terms of ##\theta## and ##\alpha##?
And is it correct to think that the two torque are opposite
Yes

so until ## T_{m} > T_{M} ## the cylinder will stay at rest?
The cylinder stays at rest as long as the two torques have equal magnitudes. Also, you don't want the small mass to slip.

Perhaps remember that the slope of the curve on which mass m sits is orthogonal to the line between the centre point and m.

TSny said:
If a line from the center of the cylinder to the small mass m makes an angle ##\theta## to the vertical, can you express the lever arm for the torque ##T_m## in terms of ##\theta## and ##\alpha##?.

Yes, but I don't know how to relate angle ## \theta ## with ## \alpha ##
IMG_4395.JPG

Because I have a isoscel triangle ( 2 side of length ## R ## ). Any hint?

Is it possible that ## \theta = (90 - \alpha ) ##

θ is measured with respect to YR and YR is orthogonal to the plane X.

To find the lever arm for ##mg##, it might help to identify the angle shown with the question mark below
upload_2017-5-18_13-47-23.png

I was thinking of ##\theta## as being the angle shown in red below
upload_2017-5-18_13-55-39.png

fedecolo said:
but I don't know how to relate angle θ with α
They are related through the torque equation.
How does θ relate to μ?
(You will find it easier to work with TSny's definition of θ, as being the angle to the vertical; but either will work.)

TSny said:
To find the lever arm for ##mg##, it might help to identify the angle shown with the question mark below
The angle ? is ##\alpha##
haruspex said:
How does θ relate to μ?
Considering TSny's ## \theta ## angle ## \mu = tan \theta ## and m doesn't slide.

Last edited:
fedecolo said:
The angle ? is ##\alpha##
Considering TSny's ## \theta ## angle ## \mu = tan \theta ## and m doesn't slide.
Right.
Next, can you find the horizontal distance from the point of contact with the slope to the mass ? I see you already have the distance to the cylinder's mass centre line.

Last edited:
But in order to find it I need the distance of the mass from my origin of axys XY (?)

fedecolo said:
But in order to find it I need the distance of the mass from my origin of axys XY (?)
what is the horizontal distance from the mass to the centre of the cylinder?

Is ## R sin \theta_{1} ## with ## \theta_{1} ## the angle between Y axe and the mass

fedecolo said:
Is ## R sin \theta_{1} ## with ## \theta_{1} ## the angle between Y axe and the mass
Right, and you know the horizontal distance from the point of contact to the cylinder's mass centre, so...

haruspex said:
Right, and you know the horizontal distance from the point of contact to the cylinder's mass centre, so...

No because I don't know ## \theta_{1} ##

haruspex said:
what is the horizontal distance from the mass to the centre of the cylinder?

fedecolo said:

Does ##\theta_1## represent your choice of ##\theta## or my choice of ##\theta##? (I'm not sure if the Y axis here is the axis perpendicular to the slope or perpendicular to the ground.)

Keep in mind that haruspex asked for the horizontal distance between ##m## and the center of the cylinder.

My ##\theta_{1}## is different from your choice of ##\theta##

Ohh well, the horizontal distance is ##R cos \alpha ##

But I have to find the torque with respect to my origin of axys, haven't I?

fedecolo said:
My ##\theta_{1}## is different from your choice of θ
Then I misunderstand how you are defining it. You wrote that it was the angle between the y-axis (i.e. the verical) and "the mass". I took that to mean the radius that leads to the mass. That would make your angle the same as TSny's theta.
fedecolo said:
Ohh well, the horizontal distance is Rcosα
No, that is the horizontal distance from the centre of the cylinder to the point of contact.

Edit: correction, that is the vertical distance from the centre of the cylinder to the point of contact.
fedecolo said:
the torque with respect to my origin of axys, haven't I?
Yes. And for that you need to find the horizontal distances from the point of contact to the two mass centres.

Last edited:
## T_m ## gave me ## mgR ( \cos \theta - \sin \alpha )## if ## \theta ## is the angle measured from the vertical. So then both torques have to be equal in magnitude an then I obtain a relation between ##\alpha ## and ## \theta##, but were do I put in ##\mu##. ##\mu=## tan ## \beta ## is not necessarily true in this exercise if ##\beta## is the slope of the part of the curve where m lies

RoloJosh16 said:
## T_m ## gave me ## mgR ( \cos \theta - \sin \alpha )## if ## \theta ## is the angle measured from the vertical.
Do you mean ## mgR ( \sin \theta - \sin \alpha )##?
RoloJosh16 said:
##\mu=## tan ## \beta ## is not necessarily true in this exercise if ##\beta## is the slope of the part of the curve where m lies
Yes and no. First, you need to identify the way(s) in which the system may become unstable as alpha increases.

haruspex said:
Do you mean mgR(sinθ−sinα) mgR ( \sin \theta - \sin \alpha )?

Yes I had made a mistake.

haruspex said:
Yes and no. First, you need to identify the way(s) in which the system may become unstable as alpha increases.

Ahh, thanks. The slope of the part where the block lies is ## tan \theta ## and you solve it with that.

But is it necessary for the block to be at rest so that the cylinder does not move? I know that then all the equations so far are not true, but anyway.

RoloJosh16 said:
But is it necessary for the block to be at rest so that the cylinder does not move?
It is not clear what situation you are thinking about. Surely if the block is moving, the cylinder will be rocking or rolling. Equally surely, if the block is moving and the cylinder is not rocking or rolling, the block will eventually come to rest. Further, even if the cylinder is rocking or rolling and no other external energy input is provided, the block will eventually come to rest relative to the cylinder.

So please, let us consider the block to be at rest and the system to be in an equilibrium.

It is a little complicated but thanks.

RoloJosh16 said:
... But is it necessary for the block to be at rest so that the cylinder does not move? I know that then all the equations so far are not true, but anyway.
This is a self-balancing system.
We have to determine maximum possible slope.
The cylinder and the little block are not moving initially.

The weights (vertical vectors) of cylinder and block and their horizontal distances (levers) to the fulcrum (cylinder-plane point of contact) balance each other.
Then, the slope of the inclined plane is increased, as slowly as possible.
What happens?

1. What is statics on an inclined plane?

Statics on an inclined plane is a branch of physics that deals with the study of forces and objects at rest on a surface that is not horizontal.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity on an object on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity on an object on an inclined plane is Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of inclination.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect the force of gravity on an object?

The force of gravity on an object increases as the angle of inclination increases. This is because the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the plane, which is mg sinθ, increases as the angle increases.

4. What is the difference between a ramp and an inclined plane?

A ramp is a type of inclined plane that is used for moving objects from one height to another, while an inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle.

5. How does friction affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction can act in two directions on an object on an inclined plane - parallel and perpendicular to the surface. The component of friction parallel to the surface can either help or hinder the motion of the object, while the component perpendicular to the surface can prevent the object from sliding down the plane.