Statics Problem involving blocks, rope, pulleys and springs....

In summary, the problem involves finding the spring constant (keq) in a system with springs in parallel and series. The tension in the spring at point A is equal to the tension in the rope at point A, and the spring must pull down with the same force as it is pulling up at point G. By summing the moments about point D, the tension can be solved for.
jbakes

Homework Statement

Statics_zpss1j1d1dw.png

The angle at the bottom is 25 degrees

Homework Equations

Springs Parallel;
keq = k1 +k2
Sum Forces = f1 + f2
x = f1/k1 = f2/k2

Springs Series;
1/keq = 1/k1 + 1/k2
Sum x = x1 +x2
F = k1x1 =k2x2

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I'm having trouble finding the spring constant (Keq)23
I've worked out all the diagrams and if I could just find the spring constant I could then plug it into my FBD@E and find the tension. Then from there I can plug the tension into my Moment equation and find the force in spring one and solve for x.

Attachments

• 20170927_141208.pdf
    772.8 KB · Views: 312
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should show your working.

I haven't attempted to solve the problem (and not sure I can) but I note that they ask you to calculate the spring constant in Q3. That's possibly a clue that the spring constant isn't needed to work out the answer to Q1 and Q2.

Look at point A. That rope pulls up with a certain tension. This is tied to a spring, which must pull up with the same tension as the rope at A, since nothing is accelerating. So this brings us to point G: The spring must be pulling down at G with the same force as it is pulling up. You should be able to find the vertical forces at G, in terms of the main Tension and the angles. Take this upward force with the upward Tension at C, then the block B weight, and sum the moments about D, to solve for the Tension.

1. What is the purpose of using blocks, rope, pulleys, and springs in a statics problem?

The purpose of using these objects is to simulate real-life scenarios in which forces act on objects at rest. By using blocks, rope, pulleys, and springs, we can study how these forces interact with one another and affect the equilibrium of the system.

2. How do you determine the forces acting on each object in a statics problem involving these objects?

In order to determine the forces, we must first draw a free body diagram for each object. This diagram shows all the forces acting on the object, including the weight, normal force, tension, and any other external forces. Then, we can use the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

3. How does the number of pulleys in a system affect the forces and equilibrium?

The more pulleys in a system, the less force is required to lift an object. This is due to the mechanical advantage of pulleys, which reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. However, the number of pulleys does not affect the overall equilibrium of the system, as the forces acting on the objects will still balance out.

4. What role do springs play in a statics problem involving blocks, rope, pulleys, and springs?

Springs are used to model the elasticity and stiffness of real-life materials. They provide a resistance force that can affect the equilibrium of the system. By including springs in a statics problem, we can study the effects of elastic forces on the objects in the system.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a statics problem involving these objects?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to include all forces in the free body diagrams, not paying attention to the direction and sign of forces, and not using the correct equations of static equilibrium. It is also important to double-check calculations and units to ensure accurate solutions.