Statistic uncertainties in cross section plots - how to calculate?

In summary, the equation to calculate the standard deviation of background events in a Poisson distribution is:
Amy_93
TL;DR Summary
TL;DNR: I am not sure how to calculate the statistic uncertainties for equations like N_sig=M*(N_meas-N_bkg), assuming Poisson distributions
Hi there,

I hope I chose the right forum for my question.

So, basically, I'm doing an analysis measuring the number of signal particles in a certain momentum bin i, and doing two corrections:

Nsig, i=M*(Nmeas, i-Nbkg, i)

Here, M is a matrix covering PID correction and PID efficiencies, and Nbkg, i is the number of background events in this bin (based on MC).
Now, there's obviously also statistical uncertainties in M and Nbkg, i that I want to calculate in include in the error bar:

Nsig, i=Nsig, i, mean±δNsig, i

But, how?

Assuming that M and Nbkg, i follow a Poisson distribution, the standard derivation for Nbkg, i would read as

σNbkg, i=√Nbkg, i

but this is only the standard deviation of events from the sample mean, right? To account for the fact that I'm only looking at a sample and not all possible collision events in the world I expected to need an expression like

σNbkg, i/√N

and this is also what I find in textbooks, but here I'm lost.

- Is this equation even the right one to start with?
- If so, is N simply the total number of MC background events used to calculate Nbkg, i?Thanks for ponting me in the right direction,
Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused. Why is M Poisson?

The usual trick is to express what you want entirely in terms of independent measured quantities, which are all then Poisson.

Amy_93 said:
σNbkg, i=√Nbkg, i
What happens outside this bin is irrelevant for the Poisson statistics in that bin. Note that N here is your full set of MC events in that bin. Your background estimate will likely use a scaled version of that, so you need to scale the uncertainty correspondingly.

Is M diagonal? If yes, then you have k independent problems and you can just use standard error propagation to combine the different sources. If it's not diagonal, then you need some unfolding procedure. All the standard procedures also come with a way to estimate uncertainties.

I am unclear. What is the dimension of the matrix M? The transformation it accomplishes sums data for bin i over various PID settings? Please be more explicit
What is "MC"

Ah thank you guys so much, data unfolding is exactly what I was looking for, I can take it from there :) Thanks again

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a cross section plot?

A cross section plot is a graphical representation of the probability of a certain outcome or event occurring in a given experiment or study. It is commonly used in statistical analysis to visualize the relationship between variables.

2. What are statistic uncertainties in cross section plots?

Statistic uncertainties in cross section plots refer to the amount of variation or error in the data points on the plot. This uncertainty is typically represented by error bars on the plot and can be calculated using various statistical methods.

3. How do you calculate statistic uncertainties in cross section plots?

The calculation of statistic uncertainties in cross section plots depends on the type of data and the statistical method being used. Generally, it involves determining the standard deviation or confidence interval of the data points and using this to calculate the uncertainty.

4. Why is it important to consider statistic uncertainties in cross section plots?

Considering statistic uncertainties in cross section plots is crucial because it allows us to understand the reliability and significance of the data. It also helps to identify any potential biases or errors in the data and allows for more accurate interpretation of the results.

5. How can we reduce statistic uncertainties in cross section plots?

There are several ways to reduce statistic uncertainties in cross section plots, such as increasing the sample size, using more precise measurement techniques, and minimizing potential sources of error. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate statistical methods for analyzing the data.