Statistics, Parameters, and the Central Limit Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of explaining to introductory statistics students how a population parameter can be estimated with confidence using random samples. The Central Limit Theorem is mentioned as a way to explain the representability of the larger population in a sample, and someone suggests using software to demonstrate the concept with small populations.
Bacle
Hi, everyone:
I am teaching an intro. stats course, and I want to find a convincing explanation of how we can "reasonably" estimate a population parameter by taking random samples. Given that the course is introductory, I cannot do a proof of the CLT.

Specifically, what has seemed difficult in previous years for many students to accept, is that one can estimate a parameter (with any degree of confidence)from a population of around 310 million (current U.S pop.) by taking a random sample of size, say n=10,000 or less.

AFAIK, the Central Limit Theorem is used to explain the representability of the larger population in a sample, from the fact that, informally (please correct me if I am wrong) biases, or deviations from the average cancel each other out, so that the aggregate
deviates less from the mean, i.e., the standard deviation decreases as the sample size increases..

Would someone please comment on the accuracy of this statement and/or offer refs. about it.?

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle said:
Hi, everyone:
I am teaching an intro. stats course, and I want to find a convincing explanation of how we can "reasonably" estimate a population parameter by taking random samples. Given that the course is introductory, I cannot do a proof of the CLT.

Specifically, what has seemed difficult in previous years for many students to accept, is that one can estimate a parameter (with any degree of confidence)from a population of around 310 million (current U.S pop.) by taking a random sample of size, say n=10,000 or less.

AFAIK, the Central Limit Theorem is used to explain the representability of the larger population in a sample, from the fact that, informally (please correct me if I am wrong) biases, or deviations from the average cancel each other out, so that the aggregate
deviates less from the mean, i.e., the standard deviation decreases as the sample size increases..

Would someone please comment on the accuracy of this statement and/or offer refs. about it.?

Thanks in Advance.

Sounds kind of on the right track - if they can understand that the variance of an average is (1/n) times the variance of the population then that should be enough to see why a sample size 10,000 is "big enough" no matter how big the whole population is, provided the sample is truly random. CLT just makes explicit the additional conditions for the limit to converge.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
it's very easy to set up some small populations in Minitab (or most other software), calculate the mean and sd for the population, then demonstrate all possible samples of size 2 (or 3, if the original population isn't too large) and show how the mean of that population of samples is unchanged but the sd has decreased. graphs of the original population and the population of sample means will help as well. (this is even possible if (insert shudder of horror here) you are using Excel as a teaching aid.

Related to Statistics, Parameters, and the Central Limit Theorem

1. What is the difference between statistics and parameters?

Statistics are values calculated from a sample of data, while parameters are values that describe the entire population. In other words, statistics provide information about a subset of the population, while parameters provide information about the entire population.

2. How is the central limit theorem used in statistics?

The central limit theorem states that the sampling distribution of the mean of any independent, random variable will be approximately normally distributed, regardless of the shape of the population distribution. This is important in statistics because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample, as long as the sample is large enough.

3. Can the central limit theorem be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the central limit theorem can be applied to any type of data as long as the sample size is large enough and the data is independent and randomly selected. It is a fundamental concept in statistics and is used in a wide range of applications.

4. How does the central limit theorem impact hypothesis testing?

The central limit theorem plays a crucial role in hypothesis testing because it allows us to use the normal distribution to make inferences about a population based on a sample. This allows us to determine the likelihood of obtaining a certain sample mean or other statistic by chance alone, and thus make conclusions about the population.

5. Is it necessary to have a large sample size for the central limit theorem to apply?

Yes, the central limit theorem states that the sampling distribution of the mean will be approximately normal when the sample size is large (typically n ≥ 30). If the sample size is too small, the normality assumption may not hold and the central limit theorem may not apply.