Stats on Students Understanding Theory of Relativity

In summary, some time ago a thread was created discussing stats on student understanding of relativity. One paper referenced, "The challenge of changing deeply held student beliefs about the relativity of simultaneity" by Scherr, Shaffer and Vokos, has statistics that suggest that there is a lot of confusion about simultaneity. Another paper, "Student understanding of time in special relativity: simultaneity and reference frames" by the same authors, is more focussed on providing insights on how to teach relativity, but was published in 2002.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start a thread about the following problem but I didn't want to PM anyone.

Some time ago I came across a thread which had stats related to the problems faced by students learning the theory of relativity. It showed like how many undergraduates really understand the theory of relativity even after taking a course about it. It might be possible that there were just a post or two on that topic but the topic of thread was different. I believe @Janus also contributed to that thread. I have been trying to find that thread without any success. I'd really appreciate if you could help me to locate that thread, or perhaps you can help me find some webpage(s) which addresses this issue. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a paper @pervect sometimes cites about teaching and learning relativity. I've read it but don't recall if it has statistics.

Likes PainterGuy
The paper in question, http://www.physics.umd.edu/perg/papers/scherr/ScherrAJP2.pdf, "The challenge of changing deeply held student beliefs about the relativityof simultaneity", by Scherr, does have some statistics. It is somewhat limited in scope and 19 years old now, but it may have some good insights as to how to teach relativity, particularly the relativity of simultaneity. It's not really focussed on providing a good estimate of general student understanding nation or world wide even at the time it was written.

Likes PainterGuy and Ibix
pervect said:
The paper in question, http://www.physics.umd.edu/perg/papers/scherr/ScherrAJP2.pdf, "The challenge of changing deeply held student beliefs about the relativityof simultaneity", by Scherr, does have some statistics.

Thank you for sharing the article but I think I did see something here in a thread. It wasn't the article.

PS: I was checking the bookmarked posts and it looks like I was confused and mixing up the things. It might have been this thread, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/clock-synchronization.205558/ and I had bookmarked it as well.

Looking back at that thread, I referenced another paper by Scherr, Shaffer and Vokos, namely
"Student understanding of time in special relativity: simultaneity and reference frames" as well as their paper
"The challenge of changing deeply-held student beliefs about the relativity of simultaneity". So the primary source was essentially the same authors, I'd forgotten about the other paper, though. Publication dates for both papers were ~2002.

I see what I interpret as a lot of confusion on the simulataneioty issue in PF posts, but those are my subjective perceptions. Additionally, the audience here at PF is broader than the student audience in the referenced papers. I do tend to believe that confusion exists about simultaneity to this very day, but I haven't studied the issue in depth - these two old papers might be a good starting point for more research on the issue, though.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of the universe by introducing the concepts of space-time, gravity, and the speed of light. It also helped to explain phenomena such as black holes and the bending of light around massive objects.

3. What are the two main types of relativity?

The two main types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on space and time.

4. How is the theory of relativity tested and proven?

The theory of relativity has been extensively tested and proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the confirmation of the bending of starlight around the sun during a solar eclipse, which provided evidence for general relativity.

5. What are some practical applications of the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity has many practical applications, including GPS technology, which relies on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by the theory. It also has implications for space travel and our understanding of the origins and behavior of the universe.