Steam Condensation: Calculating Area for Experiment

In summary, a two-man team is preparing to measure the pounds per hour of saturated steam that goes through a 1" pipe with an input of up to 90 PSI. They are looking into purchasing a vortex mass flowmeter, but the cost is prohibitive.
Gary K
Greetings,

I'm preparing for an experiment on a modified Tesla Turbine design and will need to condense the exhaust steam rapidly in order to measure the pounds per hour of saturated steam that goes through the system. Incoming steam could be as high as 90 PSI through a 1" pipe. As the turbine partially acts as a heat engine, we expect to see exhaust temps in the 215to 250 degrees F range under test conditions. We are wanting to measure up to 200 pounds per hour, but likely will not achieve that input. We are planning on using 8" PVC pipe with a finned copper counter-flow coil, pre-chilled in an ice bath. The question is, how would one calculate the area of the condensing apparatus. We looked into purchasing a vortex mass flowmeter, but the cost is prohibitive for this experiment. Thank you in advance for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gary K said:
Greetings,

I'm preparing for an experiment on a modified Tesla Turbine design and will need to condense the exhaust steam rapidly in order to measure the pounds per hour of saturated steam that goes through the system. Incoming steam could be as high as 90 PSI through a 1" pipe. As the turbine partially acts as a heat engine, we expect to see exhaust temps in the 215to 250 degrees F range under test conditions. We are wanting to measure up to 200 pounds per hour, but likely will not achieve that input. We are planning on using 8" PVC pipe with a finned copper counter-flow coil, pre-chilled in an ice bath. The question is, how would one calculate the area of the condensing apparatus. We looked into purchasing a vortex mass flowmeter, but the cost is prohibitive for this experiment. Thank you in advance for your input.
Hi,Gary. Don't you have a mechanical engineer on your team, or a physicist may be? Here is a useful reference for you to digest. http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/tmp/heatandpipes.pdf

Thank you very much Ronie. I had not run across this in my searches.

We are still just a two-man team. One of us does have a physics background, but not a degree.

Gary K said:
Thank you very much Ronie. I had not run across this in my searches.
Yap, no problem Gary.

Gary K said:
We are still just a two-man team. One of us does have a physics background, but not a degree.
Though, I highly recommend you consult with a professional, especially when there's a lot of risk (life or property) involve in the experiment. Accidents could be avoided, you know.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

1. What is steam condensation and why is it important to study?

Steam condensation is the process of vapor turning into liquid when it comes into contact with a cooler surface. It is important to study because it is a natural phenomenon that occurs in many industrial and household applications, and understanding it can help improve efficiency and prevent accidents.

2. How is the area for steam condensation calculated in an experiment?

The area for steam condensation can be calculated by measuring the diameter or surface area of the object where condensation occurs. This can be done using a ruler, caliper, or other measuring tool. The formula for area, A = πr^2 (for a circular surface) or A = lw (for a rectangular surface) can then be used to calculate the area.

3. What factors affect the rate of steam condensation?

The rate of steam condensation can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the steam and the surface, the humidity of the surrounding air, and the size and shape of the condensing surface. Other factors such as air flow and surface material can also play a role.

4. How can steam condensation be controlled or manipulated in an experiment?

Steam condensation can be controlled or manipulated in an experiment by adjusting the temperature, humidity, and air flow around the condensing surface. The size and shape of the surface can also be altered to see how it affects the rate of condensation. Additionally, different materials can be used for the condensing surface to observe any differences in the rate of condensation.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding steam condensation?

Understanding steam condensation has many real-world applications, including designing more efficient heat exchangers, preventing condensation-related accidents in industrial settings, and improving the performance of household appliances such as air conditioners and refrigerators. It is also important in meteorology for predicting and understanding weather patterns.