Steam Turbine with Open Regenerative Feed Heater

In summary, the problem involves determining the amount of steam that needs to be bled from a turbine operating at a condenser pressure of 0.04 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.98 in order to produce 1 kg of saturated feedwater at 2 bar. Using the equation m (2264.1) + (1 – m) (121.41) = 505, the solution is found to be 0.179 kg of steam.
PaxFinnica96
Homework Statement
A steam turbine operates with a condenser pressure of 0.04 bar and has a single open-type regenerative feed heater. How much steam, at a pressure of 2 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.98, must be bled from the turbine to produce 1 kg of saturated feedwater at 2 bar?
Relevant Equations
m h3 + (1 – m) h6 = h7
I would very much appreciate anyone to cast their eye over my attempt at solving this problem which I've been struggling with the past few days. Many thanks in advance.

Assuming that:

• energy input from open-type regenerative feed heater pump is negligible
  • no energy is lost
  • the heater pressure is the same as the bled pressure
h6 = hf at 0.04 bar = 121.41 kJ kg-1

h7 = hf at 2 bar = 505 kJ kg-1
Enthalpy at exit of turbine…

h3 = hf + x hfg at 2 bar (from steam tables)

h3 = 505 + 0.98 (1795) = 2264.1
Balancing the

m (2264.1) = (1 – m) (121.41) + 505

m = 0.26259

So, mass of steam bled from the turbine to produce 1kg of saturated feedwater as 2 bar would be 0.26259 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
PaxFinnica96 said:
Homework Statement:: A steam turbine operates with a condenser pressure of 0.04 bar and has a single open-type regenerative feed heater. How much steam, at a pressure of 2 bar and a dryness fraction of 0.98, must be bled from the turbine to produce 1 kg of saturated feedwater at 2 bar?
Relevant Equations:: m h3 + (1 – m) h6 = h7

I would very much appreciate anyone to cast their eye over my attempt at solving this problem which I've been struggling with the past few days. Many thanks in advance.

Assuming that:

• energy input from open-type regenerative feed heater pump is negligible
  • no energy is lost
  • the heater pressure is the same as the bled pressure
h6 = hf at 0.04 bar = 121.41 kJ kg-1

h7 = hf at 2 bar = 505 kJ kg-1
Enthalpy at exit of turbine…

h3 = hf + x hfg at 2 bar (from steam tables)

h3 = 505 + 0.98 (1795) = 2264.1
Balancing the

m (2264.1) = (1 – m) (121.41) + 505
This equation should read

m (2264.1) + (1 – m) (121.41) = 505

Many thanks for your help, I get 0.179 kg

1. What is a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater?

A steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater is a type of steam turbine that uses a feed heater to increase the efficiency of the turbine. The feed heater is a heat exchanger that uses the exhaust steam from the turbine to preheat the water before it enters the boiler. This allows for more efficient use of the steam and increases the overall efficiency of the turbine.

2. How does a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater work?

In a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater, the exhaust steam from the turbine is directed to the feed heater, where it transfers its heat to the water. The heated water then enters the boiler, where it is converted into steam and used to power the turbine. This process is repeated multiple times, with the exhaust steam from each stage being used to preheat the water for the next stage, resulting in increased efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater?

The main advantage of using a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater is the increased efficiency. By preheating the water before it enters the boiler, less energy is required to convert it into steam, resulting in lower fuel consumption and operating costs. Additionally, the use of a feed heater can also help to reduce emissions and improve the overall environmental impact of the turbine.

4. Are there any limitations to using a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater?

One limitation of using a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater is the added complexity and cost. The installation and maintenance of a feed heater can be expensive, and the system requires careful design and operation to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, the use of a feed heater may not be suitable for all types of steam turbines or operating conditions.

5. How is the performance of a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater measured?

The performance of a steam turbine with open regenerative feed heater is typically measured by its thermal efficiency, which is the ratio of the energy output of the turbine to the energy input from the fuel. Other performance indicators may include the amount of steam used, the amount of fuel consumed, and the level of emissions produced. Regular monitoring and maintenance of the feed heater and other components are also important for ensuring optimal performance.