Steel support frame for a freestanding loft

In summary, Steel frame between inner and outer leaf walls will support the existing room, providing isolation from the other rooms.
ClaytonBarton
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to design and build a steel support frame for a freestanding loft of sorts. I'm in the process of building a recording studio with acoustically isolated rooms within a big room. This requires freestanding structures decoupled from everything but the floor. Normally you just build a room within a room not touching anything but the floor but the complications with this are I want to keep the above loft space above the two smaller rooms. This requires that the loft area be supported by separate structure is instead of the rooms below. I was thinking a steel frame structure could go in between the inner leaf structures and the outer leaf(existing room).

Below is how the room was when I got it.
Fullscreen capture 1182018 63839 PM.bmp.jpg
Fullscreen capture 1182018 70837 PM.bmp.jpg

This is a shot from above of 2x4 frames that with make up inner leaf walls and outer leaf existing structure with the steel frame in between.
Plans studiotop.jpg

this is the basic frame design in small section to be able to be moved thru doors then bolted together.
Studiosteelsupports.jpg

And this is a cross section from the side.
Plans studio.jpg

Nothing really to scale on these paint images I just didnt want to 3d em before knowing what I was building. I need the figure out how much weight I could put on frames like these made out of steel square tubing. Anyone know about this kind of stuff?

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 1182018 63839 PM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 1182018 63839 PM.bmp.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 485
  • Fullscreen capture 1182018 70837 PM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 1182018 70837 PM.bmp.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 508
  • Plans studiotop.jpg
    Plans studiotop.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Plans studio.jpg
    Plans studio.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 412
  • Studiosteelsupports.jpg
    Studiosteelsupports.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
From a noise/vibration standpoint, consider using wood instead of steel, wood will damp transmitted vibrations much better than steel.

You are asking about something we r are not allowed to answer. Structures occupied by humans must be built to local codes, not common sense or opinions from the Internet. There can be safety, legal, and insurance issues.

Is it against the forums rules to answer these questions?

anorlunda said:
safety, legal, and insurance
Liability/ies.

ClaytonBarton said:
Is it against the forums rules to answer these questions?
Yes, I'm afraid so. As mentioned, you need to have an engineer or architect help with the design, and you will need to get permits to build it and have it inspected according to your local Building Department.

Sounds like a fun project -- good luck! :smile:

Thread is closed.

1. What materials are typically used to make a steel support frame for a freestanding loft?

Steel support frames for freestanding lofts are typically made from high-quality steel, such as structural steel or cold-formed steel. These materials are strong, durable, and able to support heavy loads without bending or breaking.

2. How does a steel support frame for a freestanding loft differ from other types of loft supports?

Unlike other types of loft supports, such as wood or concrete, steel support frames offer superior strength and durability. They are also more flexible in terms of design and can support larger spans and higher weight capacities.

3. Can a steel support frame for a freestanding loft be customized to fit specific dimensions?

Yes, steel support frames can be customized to fit specific dimensions and layouts. They can be designed to accommodate different ceiling heights, loft sizes, and floor plans, making them a versatile option for various building projects.

4. How is a steel support frame for a freestanding loft installed?

The installation process for a steel support frame will vary depending on the specific design and building structure. However, in general, the frame is assembled on-site using bolts and connectors, and then secured to the building's structure. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use proper safety measures during installation.

5. Are steel support frames for freestanding lofts cost-effective?

While steel support frames may have a higher upfront cost compared to other materials, they are considered a cost-effective option in the long run. They require minimal maintenance and have a longer lifespan, making them a durable and cost-efficient choice for loft supports.