Steel Vibration Synthesizer: Crafting Musical Shapes

In summary, the conversation is about creating a synthesizer using steel plates and handcrafted shapes to produce different vibrations and filters. The speaker is seeking ideas for shaping the steel to achieve desired waveforms.
Mustafa Umut

Homework Statement

Hello there, I thought a fully analog , cutting vibrational shapes on steel plate and hit to each shape by fingers and produce whichever sine , square , triangle vibration you want and filter of those collections of vibrations by another steel cut shape and make a synthesizer .

Steel is stainless and 1 mm thick

everything is cut steel , works like percussion instrument.

Homework Equations

I don't know how to invent shapes for to cut steel for desired vibrations and filters

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd look at reed organs/instruments to get some ideas. A clarinet reed for example, produces a square wave. Filtering a square wave gives a triangle wave. A resonant cavity can filter that to a sine wave.

I'm not sure these waveforms can be produced with a finger providing the energy, but maybe you meant forming the metal by hand (with the fingers)?

What is a Steel Vibration Synthesizer?

A Steel Vibration Synthesizer is a musical instrument that uses steel rods and other metal objects to create sound through vibration. It is similar to a traditional xylophone or marimba, but with a more unique and versatile sound.

How does a Steel Vibration Synthesizer work?

The Steel Vibration Synthesizer works by using mallets or other objects to strike the steel rods, causing them to vibrate and produce sound. The length and thickness of the rods can be adjusted to create different tones and pitches.

What makes the Steel Vibration Synthesizer unique?

The Steel Vibration Synthesizer is unique because it allows for the creation of complex and intricate musical shapes through the use of different lengths, thicknesses, and materials of the steel rods. It also allows for experimentation and improvisation, making it a versatile and dynamic instrument.

Can the Steel Vibration Synthesizer be used in different genres of music?

Yes, the Steel Vibration Synthesizer can be used in a variety of musical genres, including classical, contemporary, experimental, and world music. Its unique sound can add a new dimension to any type of music.

Is it difficult to learn how to play the Steel Vibration Synthesizer?

Like any instrument, the Steel Vibration Synthesizer requires practice and dedication to master. However, its intuitive design and versatility make it accessible to musicians of all levels, from beginners to professionals.