Steps behind Meson decay amplitudes

In summary, qft is a mathematical technique which can be used to calculate the probability of a certain particle transition. The equations in the paper you have been provided with are derived using the techniques of QFT.
Elmo
TL;DR Summary
I have this paper on B meson decays but I cant seem to understand how certain expressions are obtained. My browsing of the references of this paper and similar google searches have revealed nothing new so I was hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.
I am a graduate student with a somewhat basic level of exposure to qft. As part of my degree I have been tasked with calculating meson decay amplitudes in a paper provided to me by my supervisor but unfortunately I seem to be lacking some prior knowledge to understand why certain expressions are written the way they are. In the following document I am supposed to calculate equation (1) but I have no idea how the expressions to be plugged in it (equations (4 and 6)) are obtained.
I am also confused about the diagrams used in Figure1.Are these different from the sort of diagrams for B decays as shown here in this link https://www.google.com.pk/url?sa=i&...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPCKwtfWxu4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

Here is the picture of those eqtns and diagrams .I have also included that paper itself.
Bx.png

Attachments

• R4- QCD factorization for exclusive.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations in the paper you have been provided with are derived using the techniques of quantum field theory (QFT). The goal of QFT is to calculate the probability of a certain particle transition (in this case meson decay) by analyzing the Feynman diagrams associated with that process. The diagrams in Figure 1 represent the interactions between the particles involved in the decay process and the arrows indicate the direction in which the particles are moving.By writing down the relevant interactions between the particles, it is possible to calculate the probability of the transition using perturbation theory. Perturbation theory is a mathematical technique which allows for the calculation of a physical process by expanding the interaction Hamiltonian into a series of terms. Each term in the expansion corresponds to a different Feynman diagram. In the case of meson decay, the Hamiltonian is expanded into two terms, one corresponding to the direct decay of the meson and the other to the exchange of virtual particles. The contribution from each of these terms can then be calculated separately and combined to give the total decay amplitude.The equations (4) and (6) in the paper are the amplitudes for the direct decay and virtual exchange processes, respectively. By plugging these expressions into equation (1), it is possible to calculate the total decay amplitude.I hope this helps to clarify the calculations you need to perform for your assignment. If you need more help or have any further questions about the techniques used in QFT, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What are mesons and how do they decay?

Mesons are subatomic particles made up of a quark and an antiquark. They are unstable and decay into other particles through the strong nuclear force.

2. What is the significance of studying the steps behind meson decay amplitudes?

Understanding the steps behind meson decay amplitudes can provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. This knowledge can also aid in the development of new theories and technologies.

3. What factors affect meson decay amplitudes?

The decay amplitudes of mesons are influenced by several factors, including the mass and spin of the meson, the types of quarks involved, and the strength of the strong nuclear force.

4. How do scientists measure meson decay amplitudes?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to study meson decay amplitudes. They also use mathematical models and simulations to analyze and interpret the data collected from experiments.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding meson decay amplitudes?

Understanding meson decay amplitudes can have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and medical imaging. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and its fundamental building blocks.