Stiffness Stress Tensor Question

In summary: So, unfortunately, I'm not able to provide any help. Regarding the third part, I'm not sure what you're asking.
ScareCrow271828

Homework Statement

I am given c11, c12, and c44.

What is poissons ratio ν and the E modulus E [100] for
a single crystal for uniaxial strain in [100] (if Fe is isotropic)?
ii) What is the anisotropy factor A?
(iii) There is: sigma=[100 0 0; 0 100 0; 0 0 0]Mpa
What is the transverse strain in [001] and the change in thickness when the
Sample in [001] is 1mm thick?

Homework Equations

bec60df69abfdd446aeffe0010ffec26c275afbc

Ansitropy factor= c11-c12-2*c44

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I am a little confused why the question statement says it is isotropic and then giives a [1 0 0] diretion. How is that relevant ? Shouldn't E and v be independent of direction since its isotropic? Anyways since I have values for the c's and equations supplied by the matrix for isotropic materials I was able to solve for E and V.

The anistropy factor is -125. How do I interpret a negative value? If it were zero it would be isotrpic right? So the assumption in the beginning was wrong.

I'm not sure how to even start the third part. How does the [0 0 1] direction relate to the sigma matrix? There is no force in that direction right?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very puzzled by your analysis of this problem. This is definitely the stress-strain equation for a Hookean isotropic solid. Please show your math for calculating the anisotropy factor. I get zero. You need to look up the elastic modulus and Poisson ratio for iron.

Chestermiller said:
I'm very puzzled by your analysis of this problem. This is definitely the stress-strain equation for a Hookean isotropic solid. Please show your math for calculating the anisotropy factor. I get zero. You need to look up the elastic modulus and Poisson ratio for iron.
Does the question not ask to calculate it? Why can I not calculate E and V with a system of equations given the matrix and the c values? C11=(E(1+v))/((1+v)(1-2v)) and I can make similliar equations for C12 and C44. Also how did you calculate the anisotropic factor if I did not supply the C values? I used the equation I supplied to calculate it. Thanks a lot Chester!

ScareCrow271828 said:
Does the question not ask to calculate it? Why can I not calculate E and V with a system of equations given the matrix and the c values? C11=(E(1+v))/((1+v)(1-2v)) and I can make similliar equations for C12 and C44. Also how did you calculate the anisotropic factor if I did not supply the C values? I used the equation I supplied to calculate it. Thanks a lot Chester!
All I see in your original post is an algebraic (matrix) relationship between the stresses and strains. I thought the problem was asking for actual numbers. Maybe what they want in part (i) is to assume that ##\sigma_{11}## is non-zero, but all the other sigma's are zero; then determine the 6 strains.

Regarding the anisotropy factor, aside from the leading constant in front of the matrix, $$C_{11}-C_{12}-2C_{44}=(1-\nu)-\nu-2\left(\frac{1-2\nu}{2}\right)=0$$

Last edited:

1. What is a stiffness stress tensor?

A stiffness stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the relationship between stress and strain in a material. It describes how the material responds to external forces and provides information about its mechanical properties.

2. How is the stiffness stress tensor calculated?

The stiffness stress tensor is typically calculated using experimental data or theoretical models, such as finite element analysis. It involves measuring the stress and strain in different directions and using this information to determine the material's stiffness coefficients.

3. What is the significance of the stiffness stress tensor in materials science?

The stiffness stress tensor is a vital tool in understanding the mechanical behavior of materials. It allows scientists to predict how a material will respond to different types of loading and can be used in the design and optimization of various structures and components.

4. How does the stiffness stress tensor differ from the compliance stress tensor?

The stiffness stress tensor and the compliance stress tensor are two different mathematical representations of the same relationship between stress and strain. The stiffness stress tensor describes the material's resistance to deformation, while the compliance stress tensor describes its ability to deform under a given stress.

5. Can the stiffness stress tensor be used for all types of materials?

The stiffness stress tensor is commonly used for linear elastic materials, where the relationship between stress and strain is linear. However, for materials that exhibit non-linear behavior, such as plastics and rubbers, more complex models may be required to accurately describe their mechanical properties.