Still Water as an Approximate Blackbody

In summary, it is theoretically possible to calculate the temperature of still water using Planck's Blackbody Radiation, given emissivity as a function of wavelength and temperature and a deep enough path length. However, there may be potential interference from factors such as angle of incidence and container effects.
ecastro
Can the temperature of a still water be calculated using Planck's Blackbody Radiation? For instance, I have the intensity image of water (of course, this is considered still, as it seems that it is currently stopped in time), and I want to calculate the temperature of the water, is it possible?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer
In principle, given emissivity as a function of wave length and temperature. You might be able to "calibrate" an IR thermometer versus a regular thermometer to do the "heavy lifting;" but, I'd be very suspicious of angle of incidence, container effects, and other interference.

But can I calculate it theoretically?

"Is it theoretically possible to calculate it?" Yes, given emissivity as a function of wavelength and temperature and a long enough path length (deep enough water).

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an ideal object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it. It also emits radiation at all wavelengths, making it a perfect emitter of thermal radiation.

2. How does still water behave as a blackbody?

Still water behaves as an approximate blackbody because it has a high thermal conductivity and low reflectivity, allowing it to absorb and emit thermal radiation efficiently.

3. What is the significance of still water as an approximate blackbody?

Understanding the behavior of still water as an approximate blackbody is important in studying the Earth's energy balance and climate. It also has applications in industries such as thermography and remote sensing.

4. How does the temperature of still water affect its blackbody radiation?

The amount of radiation emitted by still water as a blackbody is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the amount of radiation emitted.

5. Can still water ever behave as a perfect blackbody?

No, still water can never behave as a perfect blackbody because it has a finite thermal conductivity and reflectivity, which means it will always absorb and emit some amount of thermal radiation. However, it can closely approximate a blackbody under certain conditions.