Stimulated Raman in linear regime

In summary, the two-photon drive is necessary for efficient stimulated Raman scattering and eliminates the fundamental threshold for the process.
DrDu
Science Advisor
In the course of another thread I was lend to think about the Raman effect. I also read about the stimulated Raman effect and found that it is usually described as a third order nonlinear effect where a power of two of E is assumed to drive the nuclear vibration. I don't quite see why this is necessary. If I shine two lasers whose energy difference ##\Delta \omega=\Omega## equals that of the frequency of the vibrational mode, I would expect to get stimulated Raman scattering also from the ordinary Stokes transition from the vibrational ground state to the first excited state. I also don't see a fundamental threshold for this process, so if light is shone into a sufficiently large volume of Raman active material, I would expect spontaneous lasing. Do you see some flaw in these lines of though?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the two-photon drive is necessary because it is usually mentioned in the literature, but I'm not sure why.The two-photon drive is necessary because it is much more efficient than a single-photon drive. In the presence of an electromagnetic field, stimulated Raman scattering is caused by the absorption of two photons of frequency Ω whose total energy is equal to the energy difference between two vibrational states. The two-photon drive allows the probability of such an event to be significantly increased, leading to a much higher efficiency of the process. In addition, if you were to use a single-photon drive for the stimulated Raman effect, then there would be a fundamental threshold for the intensity of the light required to cause the transition. This is because, in order to cause a transition, the single photon must have at least enough energy to cause the transition. With a two-photon drive, this threshold is not present, as the two photons need not each individually have the energy to cause the transition, as long as their combined energy is sufficient. Finally, while it is possible to get stimulated Raman scattering from the ordinary Stokes transition, this process will be much less efficient than with a two-photon drive, and so is not commonly used.

1. What is Stimulated Raman in linear regime?

Stimulated Raman in linear regime is a process in which a light source with a specific frequency interacts with a material, causing the material to vibrate at a different frequency. This process is known as Raman scattering and can be used to study the molecular structure and composition of a material.

2. How does Stimulated Raman in linear regime work?

In this process, the incident light stimulates the molecules in the material to vibrate at a different frequency, resulting in a shift in the energy levels of the molecules. This shift can be measured and used to analyze the composition and structure of the material.

3. What are the potential applications of Stimulated Raman in linear regime?

Stimulated Raman in linear regime has a wide range of potential applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science. It can be used for chemical analysis, imaging of biological samples, and characterization of materials.

4. How is Stimulated Raman in linear regime different from other Raman scattering processes?

Stimulated Raman in linear regime is different from other Raman scattering processes in that it requires a high-intensity light source to stimulate the vibrations in the material. This results in a stronger Raman signal, making it a more sensitive technique for studying materials.

5. What are the advantages of using Stimulated Raman in linear regime?

One of the main advantages of using Stimulated Raman in linear regime is its ability to provide high-resolution and non-destructive analysis of materials. It also has a short data acquisition time and can be used for in situ measurements, making it a powerful tool for research and industrial applications.