Stirling Number of the First Kind

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stirling
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove the identity of Stirling numbers of the first kind and provides a simplified equation for s_{n,2}. The conversation also mentions the ordering of tables and people in the calculation. The final part suggests looking at the Wikipedia entry for more information on the identity.
e(ho0n3
Hello again,

I need to prove the following identity for Stirling numbers of the first kind:
[tex]s_{n,2} = (n-1)!\Big(1 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} + ... + \frac{1}{n-1}\Big)[/tex]​

For the uninitiated, [itex]s_{n,k}[/itex] is a Stirling number of the first kind and represents (as I was explained) the number of ways of sitting [itex]n[/itex] people in [itex]k[/itex] table so that every table has at least one person. The ordering of the tables doesn't matter but the ordering of the people on a table does. Example: Suppose three people (A, B, and C) are sitting at a table such that C is to the right of B and B is to the right of A. So ABC = BCA = CAB are all the same. Another way of sitting A, B, and C is by letting C be to the right of A and B to the right of C. So ACB = BAC = CBA. So, the number of ways of sitting three people on one table is [itex]s_{3,1}=2[/itex].

OK. I know that [itex]s_{n,1}=(n-1)![/itex]. I need to find [itex]s_{n,2}[/itex] which is the number of ways of sitting n people in two tables. I'm going to assume n is even to simplify my analysis here. So, [itex]s_{n,2}[/itex] can be reduced to:
The number of ways of sitting one person at one table and n - 1 persons at the other table, plus the number of ways of sitting two persons at one table and n - 2 persons at the other table, plus..., plus the number of ways of sitting n/2 persons at one table and n/2 persons on the other table. In other words,
[tex]s_{n,2} = s_{1,1}s_{n-1,1} + s_{2,1}s_{n-2,1} + ... + s_{n/2,1}s_{n/2,1}[/tex]​
Now assuming this is right, how do I simplify this to what I gave above? I just can't seem to do it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Continuing on here,
[tex]\begin{align*}
s_{n,2} &= s_{1,1}s_{n-1,1} + s_{2,1}s_{n-2,1} + ... + s_{n/2,1}s_{n/2,1}
\\&= 0!(n-2)! + 1!(n-3)! + ... + (n/2 - 1)!(n/2 - 1)!
\\&= (n-2)!\sum_{k=0}^{n/2-1}{\frac{1}{C(n-2,k)}}
\end{align}[/tex]​
I just don't know.

This appears to be a standard identity. Check out the Wikipedia entry on Stirling Numbers of the First Kind, and the relation to harmonic numbers.

Related to Stirling Number of the First Kind

What is the Stirling Number of the First Kind?

The Stirling Number of the First Kind, denoted as S(n,k), is a mathematical concept used in combinatorics to count the number of ways to partition a set of n objects into k non-empty cycles.

How is the Stirling Number of the First Kind calculated?

The formula for calculating the Stirling Number of the First Kind is S(n,k) = (-1)^{n-k} * \sum_{j=0}^k (-1)^j * {{k}\choose{j}} * (k-j)^n, where n is the number of objects and k is the number of cycles. This formula can also be expressed recursively as S(n,k) = (n-1) * S(n-1, k) + S(n-1, k-1).

What is the significance of the Stirling Number of the First Kind?

The Stirling Number of the First Kind has many applications in mathematics, particularly in combinatorics and probability. It is used to solve problems related to permutations, partitions, and distributions. It is also used in the study of Bell polynomials, which have various applications in physics and statistics.

How does the Stirling Number of the First Kind differ from the Stirling Number of the Second Kind?

The Stirling Number of the Second Kind, denoted as S(n,k), is also used to count the number of ways to partition a set of n objects into k non-empty subsets. However, in this case, the order of the subsets does not matter. The formula for calculating the Stirling Number of the Second Kind is S(n,k) = \frac{1}{k!} * \sum_{j=0}^k (-1)^j * {{k}\choose{j}} * (k-j)^n, which is similar to the formula for the Stirling Number of the First Kind, but with an additional factor of \frac{1}{k!}.

What are some real-world examples of the Stirling Number of the First Kind?

The Stirling Number of the First Kind has various real-world applications, including in computer science for the analysis of algorithms, in genetics for analyzing gene distribution, and in physics for studying quantum states. It is also used in economics for analyzing market equilibrium and in chemistry for studying chemical reactions and molecular structures.