STM32 BLDC driver advanced configuration

In summary: If you are not comfortable making changes to the driver board, it may be best to seek expert help to avoid risking damage to the board. Overall, it is important to carefully consider the motor specifications and use the appropriate control method to ensure optimal performance. In summary, to configure the X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 BLDC driver, check the motor datasheet for the required control type, adjust current limit and acceleration settings accordingly, and use an oscilloscope to confirm proper signal production. Seek expert help if needed to avoid damaging the board.
Vatech
TL;DR Summary
I had to get into driving a BLDC motor due to a project. I have no previous experience on driving an BLDC motor and i have only one board available to test ( X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 ) due to the fact that currently is hard to find globally .
Hello Community,

i have a X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 BLDC driver which will be controlled by a HMI (generic industrial product) combined with Nucleo nucleo-f401re.

I developed the HMI part and currently i work on communication between the HMI and the Nucleo.
I would appreciate any help to configure the BLDC driver board (X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 ).

I know they may need to be replaced surface mounted capacitors, remove resistors, but i would not like to risk to try many cases on same board.
My BLDC motor is a 3 Phase, 4 Pole 36V 4000RPM 0.44Nm 184W 7.3A , 21A_Peak_Current
My Power source is a 36V 15A SMPS

I need to limit the current under the 15A and be able to configure an software controlled acceleration
I do not know if it should be drived by trapezoidal mode , FOC or other, i do not have oscilloscope to rotate the motor and see the signal produced.
Thank you in advance

https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/57BLR110-36-01.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to configure the X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 BLDC driver is to check the datasheet of your motor and see what type of control it needs. Depending on the motor, you may need to use trapezoidal mode, FOC, or some other type of control. You can then use the datasheet to adjust the current limit and acceleration settings accordingly. Additionally, you can use an oscilloscope to rotate the motor and measure the signal produced, which will help you confirm that the settings are correct.

1. What is a STM32 BLDC driver?

The STM32 BLDC driver is a microcontroller-based driver that is used to control brushless DC motors. It provides advanced configuration options for precise control of the motor's speed, position, and torque.

2. What are the main features of the STM32 BLDC driver?

The main features of the STM32 BLDC driver include sensorless control, multiple PWM outputs, and support for various motor control algorithms such as FOC (Field-Oriented Control) and six-step commutation. It also has built-in protection features such as overcurrent and overtemperature protection.

3. How is the STM32 BLDC driver configured?

The STM32 BLDC driver can be configured using the STM32CubeMX software, which allows for easy graphical configuration of the driver's parameters and settings. It can also be configured through code using the STM32 HAL library.

4. What is sensorless control and how does the STM32 BLDC driver use it?

Sensorless control is a method of controlling a BLDC motor without the use of external sensors. The STM32 BLDC driver uses advanced algorithms and techniques to estimate the motor's position and speed based on the back EMF (electromotive force) generated by the motor. This allows for a more cost-effective and compact motor control solution.

5. What are the benefits of using the STM32 BLDC driver for motor control?

The STM32 BLDC driver offers many benefits, including high efficiency and accuracy in motor control, flexibility in configuration and customization, and built-in protection features for safe and reliable operation. It also has a wide range of supported motor control algorithms, making it suitable for various applications.