Stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty....

In summary: This is a good approach and can be very successful.In summary, a stochastic differential equation is used to model Brownian motion, and the process model is driven by acceleration updates that are uncertain in time. The Kalman filter is a model that can be used to estimate the position of a moving object given a known initial velocity.
asimov42
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone is able to point me in a direction regarding an aspect of stochastic differential equations. I have a situation in which I need to propagate a stochastic DE through time using measurement updates - however, the exact time at which each measurement arrives is uncertain (with some distribution, assumed known). Would anyone have a pointer on where to look for information on this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
asimov42 said:
. I have a situation in which I need to propagate a stochastic DE through time using measurement updates

What does it mean to "propagate" the equation?

Do you have a known stochastic differential equation or are you trying to find the specific equation by fitting a family of equations to the data?

Ah, very good question, @Stephen Tashi - sorry I should have specified.

In the simplest example case: I have a time series representing a series of, say, accelerometer measurements in 1-D, and I want to determine position as a function of time, given a known, exact initial velocity. In theory, the accelerometer data could be continuous (in practice, it's discrete, but let's leave that for later).

Now, not only are the acceleration values noisy (with some known standard deviation), but the exact time at which each sample is taken is also stochastic. One can assume that data never arrives out-of-sequence, also.

The main question then, is how to determine the mode of the resulting distribution (best estimate of position as a function of time) as well as the standard deviation of the position at any time.

In control systems, that general type of problem is often handled with a "Kalman filter". Unfortunately, on this forum, questions about Kalman filters often go unanswered, so we may be lacking in Kalman filter experts.

The term "stochastic differential equation" is most often used when the equation models Brownian motion. By contrast, the usual scenario for a Kalman filter is that the basic model is a deterministic differential equation and the stochastic aspects are due to errors in measurements that have discrete distributions.

asimov42 said:
but the exact time at which each sample is taken is also stochastic.

Does that mean that the "time stamp" telling when an acceleration measurement is taken may be in error? Or do you merely mean that you can't predict in advance when an acceleration measurement will be made?

Likes mpresic
Right - very familiar with the Kalman filter framework, and there has been work on stochastic measurement arrival times.

I'm referring to the situation in which the time stamp is in error by some amount. So I have a process model (in the KF context) driven by the acceleration updates, but when a time stamped acceleration value arrives, it represents the acceleration at some point in the past ##\delta t##, where ##\delta t## is a random variable.

I've seen some work as I noted above on the case with uncertain measurement times (observation updates), but never where the driving process has time uncertainty.

To make progress, I think you must state a specific probability model for the process.

asimov42 said:
but never where the driving process has time uncertainty.

In the Kalman filter model, don't we have random variables that represent the things "driving" the process in the sense of random effects? There can be a random acceleration ##a(t)## , which is a variable in the model, but not known precisely from the data. There can be another variable ##b(t_1)## that is the known measured acceleration with time stamp ##t_1##. We use ##b(t_1)## to estimate ##a(t_1)##. The error in estimating ##a(t_1)## from ##b(t_1)## is due both to the fact that the measurement might not be taken exactly at time ##t_1## and also that ##b(t_1)## may differ from ##a(t_1)## even when the times coincide.

It seems to me if you can model the error between the estimate of ##a(t_1)## from ##b(t_1)## then it doesn't matter that one contributing cause to that error is making a measurement at the wrong time. It's only necessary to model the "bottom line" of the distribution of the error, not the details of how it arises.

Sounds like Kalman filtering. I like Tashi's post but to some degree I disagree with it. I sort of remember a Kalman-Bucy filter. The continuous aspects of the problem are propagated by the Ricatti equation, and the discrete aspects are propagated using the usual Kalman filter equations for observation.

Be sure to look into this if you are interested.

In looking at your later post I now see my previous comment may have limited value. You are saying you have stochastic measurement update times. I am coming up empty for ideas. Usually measurement times are assumed to be under our control.

I have not examined this material for a long time. It seems your time stamps are stochastic, but if you are not doing this analysis in real time, the time stamps are known. If I remember correctly, the ricatti equation can propagate the continuous process (perhaps your acceleration process) state between times TS1, and TS2, assuming these TS's are known. then the measurement in made (via the kalman filter). Between measurements the Ricatti equation is used between the known time stamps.

What are stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty?

Stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty are mathematical models used to describe the evolution of a system over time, taking into account random fluctuations and uncertainty in the timing of events.

How are stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty used in science?

Stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty are commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, finance, and engineering to model complex systems that involve randomness and uncertainty. They can help predict future behavior and make informed decisions based on probabilistic outcomes.

What is the difference between stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty and regular differential equations?

The main difference between stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty and regular differential equations is that the former takes into account random fluctuations and uncertainty in time, while the latter assumes a deterministic and precise evolution of the system.

What is the role of time uncertainty in stochastic differential equations?

Time uncertainty is a critical component in stochastic differential equations as it allows for the modeling of systems with random events and fluctuations. It helps capture the unpredictable nature of many real-world phenomena and provides a more accurate representation of the system's behavior.

What are some real-world applications of stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty?

Stochastic differential equations with time uncertainty have a wide range of applications, including modeling stock prices, predicting weather patterns, understanding population dynamics, and analyzing chemical reactions. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to model and predict complex systems.