How Much Lead(II) Sulfide Is Produced from 146.0 Grams of Ammonium Sulfide?

In summary, the problem involves finding the number of grams of Lead(II) Sulfide produced from the combination of 146.0 grams of ammonium sulfide and excess Lead (II) Nitrate. The balanced equation is 2NH4S + Pb (NO3)2 -----> 2PbS + 2NH4 NO3. Using the mole ratios and formula weights, the solution can be found.
nduncan2010
stoichiometry. Please help . Thanks!

1. how many grams of Lead(II) Sulfide will result from the combination of 146.0 grams of ammonium sulfide and excess Lead (II) Nitrate

Homework Equations

3. ooohhhkkaayyy .
I cannot even balance the equationn... sooo
this is what i have
2NH4S + Pb (NO3)2 -----> 2PbS + 2NH4 NO3
I CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT TO SAVE MY LIFEEE

Physics news on Phys.org

If you understood the FeS problem from your other post (in which you gave a mostly reasonable solution and which was checked and improvement comments responded) then this one is the same idea. Look for the mole ratios from the written reaction, be sure to balance that reaction first; then use formula weights as needed according to the mole ratios.

Hi there,

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It can help us determine the amount of products that will be produced from a given amount of reactants.

In this case, we have the reaction between ammonium sulfide and lead (II) nitrate to form lead (II) sulfide. The balanced equation for this reaction is:

2(NH4)2S + Pb(NO3)2 → 2PbS + 2NH4NO3

To solve this problem, we will use the mole-mole ratio from the balanced equation. This ratio tells us the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction. We can then use the molar mass of each substance to convert from moles to grams.

Step 1: Calculate the number of moles of ammonium sulfide (NH4)2S.

146.0 g NH4)2S x (1 mol NH4)2S / 68.15 g NH4)2S = 2.14 mol NH4)2S

Step 2: Use the mole-mole ratio to determine the number of moles of lead (II) sulfide (PbS) that will form.

2.14 mol NH4)2S x (1 mol PbS / 2 mol NH4)2S = 1.07 mol PbS

Step 3: Convert the number of moles of PbS to grams.

1.07 mol PbS x 239.27 g PbS / 1 mol PbS = 256.2 g PbS

Therefore, 256.2 grams of lead (II) sulfide will be produced from the combination of 146.0 grams of ammonium sulfide and excess lead (II) nitrate.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Much Lead(II) Sulfide Is Produced from 146.0 Grams of Ammonium Sulfide?

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using mathematical calculations to determine the amount of substances involved in a chemical reaction.

2. Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry allows chemists to accurately predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction. This information is crucial for many practical applications, such as determining the amount of materials needed for a reaction or calculating the efficiency of a reaction.

3. How do you calculate stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry calculations involve using the balanced chemical equation for a reaction, along with the molar masses of the reactants and products. The coefficients in the balanced equation represent the moles of each substance, which can be converted to grams using the molar mass.

4. What are some common applications of stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is used in a variety of fields, including pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science. It is also used in everyday life, such as determining the proper ratio of ingredients in a recipe or calculating the amount of fuel needed for a car journey.

5. How does stoichiometry relate to the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Stoichiometry calculations are based on this principle, as the total mass of the reactants must be equal to the total mass of the products. This helps to ensure the accuracy of stoichiometric calculations.